Can somebody tell me what exactly spina bifida is? The thing is that my brother's baby borne a week ago is kept in hospital for he is suspected of having spina bifida and is scheduled today for his first ultrasound or x-ray exam that could confirm his spina bifida condition. And the reason for such suspicion is a birthmark on the baby's lower back along with a small fat collection and since there is some surgery talk over this I would like to hear what exactly spina bifida is and how dangerous it could be?

I hope it is about the mildest spina bifida form for you know sometimes no spina bifida treatment is needed –that worth only for spina bifida occulta which is its mildest form but if it is about some more serious spina bifida forms such as meningocele or myelomeningocele than the only treatment opt is surgery to fix this whole between one or more spinal vertebrae and also whenever it is about serious form of spina bifida the common complication is walking delay and also bladder trouble so besides the surgery regular physical therapy is needed to keep joints and muscle flexible. Anyway my kid was diagnosed with spina bifida occulta fortunately –for this is the mildest spina bifida form which haven't caused her no serious complications and she is now 12y/o and anyway spina bifida always indicate specific birth defects causing uncompleted development of one or more spinal vertebras making that way space between vertebras and therefore leaving part of spinal cord unprotected.