My grandaughter has a small hole above her butt crack.  There is no discharge, it doesnt

get bigger, but doesn't decrease either.  What should I do and should we be concerned?

A sacral dimple or pilonidal dimple is a small hole located just above the buttocks. The name comes from the sacrum, the bone at the end of the spine, over which the dimples are found. More than 2% of babies may have such dimples; almost all of these are very minor. However, it may be a sign of Spina bifida: even so this is usually the spina bifida occulta form which is the least serious kind. Sacral dimples are usually spotted in post-natal checks by a pediatrician, who will check:

Can the floor of the dimple be seen to be covered with skin? If not, it may be that the neural tube is not completely closed. Is there a tuft of hair in the dimple? This may also indicate problems. Are there any other problems in the examination of the baby, such as weak lower limbs. How close to the buttocks is the dimple? The lower, the better. Additionally, this can be indicative of a possible kidney problem, which is then checked by an ultrasound.

See also

Pilonidal sinus

Does this abnormality have anything to do with the birth mother not absorbing Folic Acid properly?

MY DAUGETR IS THE SAME WAY AND IT S SCARES ME

FYI my son has had one for 20 years now. Doctor never said anything about it. Never had a problem yet. Once in a while it leaks a little with slight odor like a zit but that's it

Its nothing to worry about. It's just a dimple got over there in unique way. Even I have the same thing and 20 years old fit and fine totally.

Hello I'm 38 and I was born with a hole in that same place. It will grow with her and get smaller. Mine did it's small but still there.