The nurse called and told me that they spotted an echogenic focus in my baby's heart. Everything is okay the baby, but they want to make sure because of a previous history of my pregnancy. What is an echogenic focus and what cause it? My baby has all four chambers of the heart and her heart was 176. They want to send me to a specialist to make sure everything is okay.

It sounds like you are well cared for. An echogenic focus is a spot inside your baby's heart that shows up as a bright spot in an echocardiogram. During ultrasonography, a transducer is placed over your abdomen and a high pitch sound wave is produced. The sound wave travels through your abdomen and uterus and enters the fetus. Part of the sound wave is absorbed as it passes through body tissues, while part of the sound wave is reflected to form echoes that travel in the opposite direction and reenter the transducer. An echogenic focus is where the presence of mineral deposits such as calcium causes more than the usual amount of sound wave to be reflected. It is commonly agreed that this mineralization will not affect the development and future health of the fetus' heart. However, some studies have shown that the presence of such mineralization increases the likelihood that your fetus may have a genetic defect such as trisomy 18 or trisomy 21 (downs syndrome). Genetic counseling may include amniocentesis to verify the chromosomal profile of your fetus.

THAT WAS SOME HELPFUL INFORMATION. I'M JUST VERY CONCERNED ABOUT MY BABY BEING WITH MY LAST PREGNANCY. I DELIVERED A STILLBORN BABY. SHE HAD THE CORD WRAPPED AROUND HER NECK AND IT REALLY TOOK A TOLL ON ME. I DON'T THINK I CAN TAKE ANYMORE BAD NEWS. I'M HAVING ANOTHER LITTLE GIRL AND I WANT TO DO ANYTHING TO PROTECT HER. I MIGHT HAVE TOO MUCH CALCIUM CAUSE I HAVE BEEN DRINKING AND EATING A LOT OF CALCIUM LATELY. BUT IF IT HELPS FOR ME TO STOP DOING THAT I WILL. I JUST FEEL IN MY HEART THAT EVERYTHING IS OKAY WITH HER. I JUST DON'T THINK I CAN TAKE THE TRISOMY PART. PLEASE REPLY BACK!!!

You do not need to discontinue taking calcium supplements as your fetus needs calcium to grow strong bones. Echogenic focus is reported in 3-5% of normal pregnancy and the incidence of genetic defects is reportedly less than 1%. So there is a 99% chance that your baby will be normal. With that kind of odds, I would have taken my entire life savings and do my betting in Vegas. So don't worry.

That really helped out a lot.