Hello! Four months ago I was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease, and have been prescribed certain medications in order to relieve my pain. The drug would sometimes help, and sometimes I would end up in pain with no effects from the drugs. I honestly don’t like this part when the drugs don’t help. Anyway, I heard about some spinal pumps being inserted into a body, so that medications can go directly to the spine. I can’t get any info on this, so I was wondering if anybody here knew more about these pumps. Thank you in advance!

HI! My cousin was telling me about these pumps the other days as her husband suffers from severe back pain, I honestly don’t know which illness exactly, and no meds or exercises can help him. They are also thinking about inserting one of these pumps. Anyway, she told me that this spinal pump is surgically being inserted into a person’s abdomen, and a catheter to the precise location in the spine where the pain is. So the medications are pumped directly into the spinal fluid, allowing for a much more potent effect on the spinal cord. The pump is refilled every 1-3 months by inserting a needle through the skin and through a diaphragm on the surface of the pump. This way, several different and even combinations of drugs may be used. This is better than the oral meds because it cuts down on the dose of medicine needed and yet provides even better pain relief with much fewer side effects. However, these pumps are extremely expensive and are advised just for cases where treatments have not been effective or have caused intolerable side effects.