Hi, since the spring began my allergy has returned full force and my doctor prescribed me Clarinex 5mg. But while I was at the pharmacy, I could see there was also over the counter medication called Claritin, and since I’m not getting too much relief from Clarinex I was wondering is there a difference between Clarinex and Claritin? Would Claritin perhaps be more effective, even though I’d have to pay for it?

Besides Claritin how does Allegra compare with Clarinex? Since Clarinex isn’t helping much with my allergy symptoms, would Allegra be more efficient? Any input is much appreciated.

The active substance in Clarinex is desloratadine, while Claritin has a ingredient that is derrived from desloratadine called loratadine. Both these medications are second generation antihistamines that do not cause drowsiness, but as far as their effectiveness is concerned it depends on main symptoms you're having.

If you have problems with nasal congestion, you can also try Claritin with pseudoephedrine that should help with allergic rhinitis. But, all and all, both these medications - as well as Allegra - are proven to be effective in treating seasonal allergies, and I think it's worth that you talk to your doctor about switching to either Claritin or Allegra.

Hi, I suffer from seasonal allergies too, and while I was doing some online research to find some way to get relief I came across a very interesting research. The results showed that people who took 5 mg loratadine reported that their condition improved once they switched to 10 mg desloratadine. This, of course, doesn't mean that you should immediately switch the medications - there is a significant price difference to consider - and besides, I as well think you should talk to your doctor about prescribing you Allegra or even some of the newer antihistamines.

I went back to my doctor and got a prescription for Allegra. There is definitely one big noticeable difference: Allegra doesn’t make me drowsy at all, and as far as my nasal congestion and post nasal drip are concerned, the things now are way better than when I was on Claritin.

Maybe it’s just me as far as the effectiveness goes, but my doc confirmed that Allegra definitely shouldn’t cause any drowsiness which is great when I need to be focused on my studies.