Good evening, folks. I would like to know something. I am suffering from some severe allergic rhinitis and my doctor recommended me to try either Claritin or Clarinex. I am not sure which one to choose. I was hoping some of you could help me with this. I would appreciate all your advices.

Howdy. Both medications are good for allergies. They reduce the same symptoms – watery eyes, runny nose, itching and sneezing. I think that Claritin is more popular among customers. I am not sure why. I have read that through metabolism Claritin is transformed into Clarinex. So you can say that Claritin contains Clarinex. Nevertheless, this doesn’t make Clarinex a better medication. You should discuss this with your doctor or pharmacist. Bye!

They are both equally effective and techically the same drug.

Claritin is a double bonded molecule with one molecule being active and the other inactive. The drug company decided to break up the two molecules and remove the inactive one in order to create a new "patented" blockbuster drug (Clarinex). Thus 10mg of Claritin is equal to only 5mg of Clainex. There is little if any evidence to support one being stronger or better tolerated then the other. Hope this help!