I am 45 years old mechanic. I am working in conditions which are not so representative. To be worse I have problems with allergy. Symptoms are more or less common. I have runny nose, itchy and painful throat, watery eyes etc. I am taking Claritin but I am beginning to think that it was mistake. It seems to me that my sense of smell is fading away. Could Claritin affect my sense of smell?

I am not sure that it is possible. I have been using it for some time and I had no side effects. Also I am reading a lot about it and I have never read that something like that could happen. I think that your mind is playing a little game with you. Anyway check with doc but I dont think Claritin has done that.

well....It could, but it is VERY unlikely!

HI, if you notice your sense of smell fading away,stop taking Claritin. I took Claritin from 1992 - 1999 everyday for my allergies (can't breathe bec. of clogged nose due to allergies). Claritin helped me breathe. The downside is that I still can't smell after almost 10 years since I weaned myself off Claritin. I could breathe but my sense of smell and taste are gone. Very frustrated. Went to different doctors, walk-in clinics, specialists - can't do anything to restore sense of smell and taste. It's been almost 11 years. The only time I could smell was when prednisone was prescribed to me and after taking those pills for a week, then it comes back. As soon as the presciption is finished, I can't smell or taste anymore. Claritin is okay as long as it is not taken daily for years and years.

Due to allergies to animals but loving them enough so much that my girlfriend and I have 4 cats, 3 birds, and a dog, I have to take Claritin everyday. I have been doing it for years and recently have noticed that I can only smell the strongest of scents. My first thought was to research the Claritin and lo and behold I found a plethora of people posting questions on different forums asking this same question. I would have to say that there definitely seems to be a pattern here.

That's exactly what happened to me. From the claritin to the predinisone. Wow.

This happened to me also.  I took Claritin from 2001 to 2007 everyday for my allergies as instructed by my doctor.  I stopped the Claritin because I noticed a significant change in my sinuses.  They became very dry and with a greatly impaired sense of smell.  After almost 8 years, my sense of smell has returned some.  I'm hoping for a complete return. 

I'm 33 and started having really bad sinus issues. I started taking a generic form of Claritin about 9 - 12 mos ago . The pros, I could breath. The cons, no sense of smell. Not even bleach! I did have a horrible sinus infection about a year or 2 ago (that's when my sinus problems hit.) I haven't taken it for 3 days, my asthma and sinuses are acting up but I could smell stuff....almost all day long! I could taste my food! Its rare when I can lately. So...I do believe it's the Claritin. I'm hoping to find something else that helps.
P's I found a nasal stick at work that helps load. Levmetamfetamine.... yes the name scares me....it ends with fetamine. I use it at most twice a day. Once in the morning and once during the day. I've seen people use it over and over. I don't know how....it stings a bit. Its not comfortable bit after about 5 minutes my nose is clear for most of the day.

I took Claritin for two days and lost sense of smell, and taste

I've been taking a high dose of Claritin for two weeks as prescribed by my doctor. I have lost both my sense of smell and taste.

I have lost my sense of smell too. I have been taking Claritin for at least 20 years or more. However only during two allergy seasons. I was wondering if Claritin was the culprit. Having no sense of small I can't tell when things are burning on the stove!

I only took one Claritan more than a week ago and still can't smell or taste much.

I took a generic form of Claratin-D for 4 days. My sense of smell and taste is gone. Has anyone that has posted here had their senses return after time?

One week of otc Claritin and mine are gone. I'm out of my mind hoping they'll return. Also, ended up with a great sinus infection because I got too dried out. Maybe class action law suit

I lost my sense of smell this year after taking Claritin for two months. THought it would be good to switch from Allegra, which I have taken almost year round for 10 years or so. Went back to Allegra and my sense of smell has not come back. It’s been six months. Frustrating.