In January 2006, I was diagnosed with a pineal cyst. My neurologist said it was not affecting anything, so it did not need to be removed. My husband and I are wanting to start a family soon, and in my research, I remember seeing something about a relationship between thyroid and pineal cyst. I know if your thyroid is off, it can cause birth defects. My question is, since I have a pineal cyst, should I have my thyroid checked before having a baby and what is the relationship between the two? I am 28 and healthy and this would be my first baby.

Thank you!

I have the same question but I'm 23 weeks pregnant now and with a 16mm pineal cyst.  My OBGYN wants to know if it's something to worry about during delivery.  Is it possible for the cyst to burst due to the pressure during a vaginal delivery?

Hallo,
I know that a pineal cyst is a fluid-filled mass that can occur in the pineal gland. As much as I know pineal cyst is usually benign and should no cause many problems to the body. I also know that some cysts can be bigger in size which might cause headaches and visual problems. Also you might be sensitive to light as well. I know that this can cause problems with circadian rhythm dysfunction. However the bigger cysts are not often and they do require more medical help. I think that this will not influence your pregnancy. I hope that this helped you in any possible way and that you are doing fine.
All the best to you,
Karen

I was diagnosed with a 8mm pineal cyst in 2002. I now have 3 kids, my youngest was born a year after they found my cyst. You should have no problem having kids. Good luck. <3

This is the dr to see for pineal cysts. They cause all sorts if endocrine issues when high intracranial pressure puts pressure in pituitary gland and can cause empty sella syndrome. This then effects all tour endocrine system as the pituitary starts the hormones to the thyroid, adrenals, parathyroid, etc... And throughout off all hormones such as cortisol. Cysts need to be removed if vision and hearing are affected as they can become permanent. You'll be told pineal cysts are incidental findings, and don't cause symptoms -you're just having migraines. DON'T BELIEVE THEM!!!. j

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private phone numbers not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

What doctor are you referring to?

Dr Hyayr Shahinian at the Skull Base institute in Los Angeles, California

Is it possible to email you i have some questions about pineal cyst and babies and you said you now have three can you help me? Thank you

I found this to be very helpful. I am 18 years old and pregnant with my first baby. My parents want me to abort the baby but my fiancee and I are denying their wish. I feel as if nothing bad will occur. I just want my baby to be healthy.