Hi everyone

I've never had a chemical peel before but my skin has been looking a bit rough recently, with lots of outbreaks and not to mention beginning signs of aging. I am still not sure what peel to go for, but it will be a superficial or medium peel for sure, not a deep peel. 

I've come here to ask what is best to use after a chemical peel as aftercare to support the healing and renewal process. Is it some kind of lotion, or an oil? And any product in particular you would recommend?

Thank you for your replies in advance. 

The general advice is to use skincare designed for extremely dry skin. You can apply rescue cream or Aquaphor or something like that, and you might want to wear a sunscreen if you are exposed to the sun at all, so even through your windows. If you go for a chemical peel, however, you will be instructed on exactly what skincare products and other aftercare to use and perform afterwards. The best advice I can give you is to closely follow the instructions you get, as your provider will know what they have applied to your face and what responds best to it better than anyone on the internet.

You need to be looking at a thick and very moisturizing cream after a chemical peel of any type, and you also either need to stay out of the sun completely or use a very high sun protection factor, depending on the type of peel you are getting. You also need to avoid exfoliators completely for at least a week and use a gentle non-abrasive and non-fragranced cleanser. If you are not sure, just ask whoever is applying your peel and they would be more than happy to give you suggestions.

Moisturizing your skin should absolutely, without a single doubt, be part of your post peel routine regardless of which peel you got. If your peel provider is not giving you very specific instructions about what care products to use, they are not the right provider. This after care process can make or break the peel results, and, I hate to say, your skin! What all post peel people should do is avoid the sun and avoid picking at the peeling skin at all costs. These are both very bad things that will definitely make your skin look terrible at least for a while. The moisturizer should be recommended by the peel provider though.

It depends on the peel you get and on your skin type. My mate just had a Jessner peel don e a few days back and she had some prescription ointment to soothe has skin and was told to moisturise, moisturise, moisturise! Because of the peeling that definitely happens after most peels, cracks can appear if you don't keep your skin hydrated that then turn into scars in the long run if you're not careful. That's why the moisturising aspect of the whole deal is so very important... But yeah, I'm not sure what you mean by lotion vs oil either and if it were me getting the peel done then yeah, I'd just ask whoever actually did the peel what I should put on my face. Can't go wrong that way...

Plastic surgeons are quite clear about this.

You need to use a thick moisturizer that keeps your skin nicely hydrated at all times and you need to keep out of the sun. Both are extremely important factors that determine the outcome of your peel. No matter how good your peel is or how well suited for your skin, if you do not employ the proper aftercare, then you can easily ruin the effect and end up with scarring and damage instead of beautiful skin.

Yes. In a way, it's like treating a scab or a burn: as the skin heals, it pulls together and becomes dry and flaky before healing. Unless it is hydrated properly, there is a good chance of scarring and damage. By moisturizing your skin, you offer it the support it needs and reduce the risk of side effects.

This is a good reason for me to avoid chemical peels in general, I have to say: I don't want something done to my skin that has quite a high potential of causing a reaction that results in the opposite effect than the one intended. I prefer gentler products myself.

You need to use a mild cleanser (yes, cleanse your face) such as Cetaphil, and then follow that right up with a very gentle medical grade moisturizer or ointment prescribed by your treating dermatologist or esthetician. You also need to use a sunblock or, depending on the type of peel you are getting, stay out of the sun completely for a prescribed amount of time. Pre-peel care routines are also important. Again, ask whoever will be giving you your peel how to best prepare in advance.

I have never had a chemical peel in my life, only facials. I'm showing signs of aging combined with some pimples, and I think I should consider a chemical peel to bring my tired and unhealthy looking skin back to life. I am scared of the after time though. What would you recommend that would help me with my needs without leading to heavy flaking, scabbing and pain? I would like to not look so bad that I can't go to work for a few days either because getting time of is not easy.

The best thing to use after any kind of chemical peel is a thick, very hydrating moisturizer that was specifically formulated for sensitive skin, as your skin will definitely be sensitive after a chemical peel. Lotions are not thick enough and are therefore a bad choice after a chemical peel. Oils may be okay, but you may find that you will look very greasy if you use them. In other words, it is just thick moisturizers for sensitive skin that will support your skin after chemical peels and keep you looking as good as possible during the downtime.