So, I applied a Jessner's peel for blackheads and active acne, used 2 layers. This is my first time doing a peel at home though I have had peels done before. I was expecting some downtime, but not this. I was using an SPF of 30 but I went out, two days post peel, and I now have a mild sunburn and a swollen face. I'm worried. What should I be doing to fix this? What sunburn care products can I use post peel? Is it because I used 2 layers that this is happening now, was that too much and should I only have done the 1 layer?

Here is what is normal after a Jessner peel:

• Skin that feels uncomfortably tight for 24 hours
  • Your skin will look, feel and peel like a sunburn after two to three days
  • You will continue being itchy and you will peel for up to 10 days
  • Some people experience mild swelling, others more severe swelling — it can even be so bad you can't open your eyes easily

To promote healing, do not pick at the peeling skin. Sleep on your back to avoid irritating your face. Use skincare for extremely dry skin or wound care. Do not go outside until you are healed. Don't take hot baths or showers and try to keep your face dry. Do not use any other skin products such as exfoliators during the healing period. 

If you are worried, see a dermatologist now, just in case.

SOME people are great candidates for doing chemical peels including Jessner peels at home, including those who work at spas or used to work at spas and those who have genuinely built up so much experience by having peels done professionally that they know all the ins and outs. Anyone who is not sure what they are doing, including knowing what the downtime is supposed to be like, what concentration to use, how many layers to apply, and what the right aftercare is, should simply not be doing chemical peels at home.

I hope you don't mind it if I "butt in" here. I have had a Jessner peel performed at a salon before with excellent results. Yes, there was mild facial swelling and a significant amount of peeling in the aftermath. It was after around five days if I recall correctly that I started seeing "the light at the end of the tunnel", and about 10 days to two weeks before I was recovered. My face looked wonderful afterwards. Acne scars were greatly improved, some gone.

Now, I am also thinking of trying again but at home this time. My main motivation is to save on costs. Some makeup and cosmetics forums, everyone is doing this. I am worried I don't know how to do it well myself, but still interested. Does anyone have tips for me?

Celebrity
I understand the appeal. I really do. Having said that, there are plenty of reasons not to apply chemical peels of any kind at home.

Plastic surgeons say that even superficial peels yield better results when performed at a clinic. Deeper peels applied by yourself, on the other hand, can be positively dangerous. You can end up with skin damage and scarring. At best, you will need to have many professional treatments to undo the damage. At worst, the damage will be irreversible. In addition, chemical peels may come with certain contraindications that you would not even be aware of if you were to perform the peel at home. Do you really want to take that risk?

Rosie

Yeah, I agree with you. There's not much you can do after you've already done your own peel and then you're wondering whether the after period is normal or wacky though, know what I mean? I am wondering how you are doing now OP, 'cause though what you describe sounds pretty normal overall well, I am just hoping you are OK now basically. In future, perhaps don't do it again. And yes, see a doctor about it if you are worried at all in any way.

The Jessner Peel I used contained 14% lactic acid, 14% salicylic acid, and 14% resorcinol. I used it for cystic acne and yes, ordered it online. Why would anyone do that? Money is the simple answer. Plus, there is a lot of information online on how to use this peel safely. These peels are layered, until you see "frosting". It cannot be used by just anyone - if you have been using Accutane, your HIV+, or have other immune system problems, if you have keloids, it's not for you.

You neutralize it with cold water and afterwards you see flaking after about four days. Yes, your skin looks weird for a bit but this is completely normal. The downtime is done after about 10 days and your skin looks a lot better after, mine did anyway.

Don't write DIY peels off unless you struggle with the same skin issues others are struggling with, I say.

I had the same reaction, and yes, it looked like sunburn to the T but it wasn't, it was just a side effect from the peel. Went back to the person who did the peel and asked what to do next, and the answer was just keep hydrating (both internally = water and moisturizing your skin) and keep on staying out the sun, and it will get better on its own.

It did. I look fine and better now =). These reactions can be frightening if you are new to chemical peels, but you can chalk it up to a learning experience and next time you will know all about what to expect. Follow the instructions, consult if you are not sure, and wait for your skin to heal and peel, LOL. You'll be fine.

Some level of scaling and darkness is very, very normal after a Jessner peel. Also, you can get something called post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation but that is usually very mild after a Jessner peel. Rhe solution to all of this is not only to moisturize regularly but to apply a lot of cream. Really lay it on thick. Don't worry, you will be find after a week or so. If you are worried though that go back to the person who did your peel and ask for advice. They should be able to tell what is and isn't normal and what to do if you are having an abnormal reaction.

I booked in for a Jessner Peel, the first in a series, and came here in the process of looking into what to expect afterwards. I was told there's minimal to no down time for these peels but coming here and looking at some other places, I am finding differently. In fact, there is a lot of contradictory information about and that is making me think twice. I was told the peeling peeks at day three and is minimal. Now I'm hearing about sunburned like skin and swelling. That is quite concerning to me.

I have had Jessner peels. The main benefit is that although one peel in itself does not do all that much to get the results you are looking for, after a treatment plan of six peels, you look much, much better. And why so many small peels rather than a big one? It is to decrease the downtime. My downtime was ab out four days for each peel but very manageable and definitely no sunburned look and no facial swelling. There was minimal peeling and some redness, which was fine. I work from home so that was not such a terrible thing.

HTH. Good luck with your peels!