I have acne scars. They are not as bad as some others I have seen (in real life and online), but there are many of them. I believe they are "surface" scars, they aren't really very raised and definitely not pitted. I have heard that chemical peels can do a lot to help reduce or eliminate these kinds of scars. Does anyone here have any BTDT on which chemical peel is best for acne scars? I am willing to have more than one treatment if necessary, especially if that reduces the downtime after the peel. 

Thanks for your suggestions!

Do you have current acne and recent scars? In that case a series of salicylic acid peels will almost always be the best option for you. If your scars are older, on the other hand, trichloracetic acid or even phenol may be better. The latter especially is a serious procedure and it comes with a longer recovery process. It always needs to be done by a very experienced provider. Laser resurfacing is another option for older and already formed acne scars. This is a safer bet that has less of a chance of damaging your skin in the long term.

Celebrity

Some peel types for you to explore:

• Glycolic and lactic acid peels are very safe and the most common types of peels used for minor and more recent scarring from acne. They may not work for deeper scars however.
  • TCA peels are deeper and more suitable for you if you have heavy scarring. Your recovery time is longer at around 10 days as well. 
  • Phenol peels are very deep peels. They are serious business but can really rejuvenate the skin in multiple ways. They are generally not considered the best option for acne scars but can be used in some cases. 
  • Beta Hydroxy Acid peels are often recommended for acne scars. 
  • Blue peels are the latest type of peel. I do not know much about them but understand they are very good for acne scars. 

Hope that helps you get going with some more research!

Rosie

Hi!

For active acne and blackheads, there's the Jessner Peel. This peel was designed especially for this purpose. The Jessner Peel also reduces wrinkling and SUPERFICIAL scarring though. From your description, it sounds like the Jessner Peel could be the right answer for your scarring from acne in this case. You can't use the Jessner Peel if you are on Accutane, have rosacea, are pregnant, and a bunch of other things, and you need to be careful with water immersion and you need to use Aquaphor afterwards. The downtime from a Jessner Peel is around seven days max.

I do have active acne, still, but it is much milder than it was even a year ago. I do use a moisturizer that contains retinol and attribute the improvement I have seen to my skin to this. But, unfortunately, it did nothing to reduce the scarring I have, and I still do get acne, weirdly enough mostly on the upper cheeks very close to my eyes, an area where I previously did not get so much acne at all. I do know phenol is not the peel I want to go for. Too risky.

Thank you for providing that overview. That was useful, especially since you mention these so called "blue peels", which I have never heard about before. I will look at the ins and outs of blue peels on the internet, but for now it seems like glycolic acid, lactic acid or beta hydroxy acid may me good options for me. My scarring really is not as bad as on some people, but it does bother me and I do want to eliminate it.

Thank you for your reply as well. I came in here with a very general idea of what a chemical peel or a series of chemical peels may be able to do for my skin, and now I have a whole list of options to research! I will add Jessner to my list of peels to investigate more closely now :). I am not in a category that can't have the peel but I do use retinol and I don't know if that perhaps makes a difference too? It is an anti-acne medication of sorts after all, though milder than Retin-A. If you know any more, please reply again.

Actually my mate just had a Jessner peel. I don't know much about any kind of peel if I'm honest, but she has quite severe acne and really wanted something done about that. She had the peel like four days ago, went to see her today and she honestly looked a bit weird, but she says that will all be over in a week or so and after that hopefully her acne will have gone down a lot. Perhaps you could look into doing the same peel for yourself? My mate was told this was like one of the best peels out there for people with acne, so that's a good sign...

Another thing you need to know: estheticians can perform peels of up to 30% strength. Higher than that and you need to see a dermatologist. This is to protect your skin from damage because you know that your peel is being performed by a trained professional with the right experience. This same reason is a very good one to avoid doing your own peels, something that seems to have become popular lately. 

Some dermatologists will not recommend peels for superficial scarring at all, instead advising regular benzoyl peroxide or alpha hydroxy acids. This is another reason why going to a dermatologist with an open mind, rather than to a spa asking for a peel, can be a good idea.

I have some acne scars and some current acne. I too would like to get rid of both in one go if possible and have been looking into chemical peels. They scare me slightly because of the healing time you need afterwards and because you hear so much about potential scarring, though, so I am somewhat torn. I'd like the peel that would do least damage and maximum benefit, not just for old scars but also current acne. Can someone recommend what I should be getting? Thanks!

Bio oil dont get it in ya eyes use a little 3 times aday or aveeno cream

Celebrity

If you don't mind, I'd also like to share some natural alternatives to chemical peels for acne scars. Here you go:

• Fresh papaya pulp followed by some drops of vitamin E oil and then your normal night cream. Papaya contains enzymes that encourage your skin to build new cells more quickly, resulting in a good chance of scar removal for very fresh scars. Vitamin E oil also helps with scar prevention and fighting, and you still need to keep your skin hydrated. 
  • A mixture of lemon juice and honey. Lemon juice is a natural bleach, which will help fade pigmentation from scars. Honey is a natural antioxidant that will help you achieve cell turnover. 
  • Take fish oil and vitamin C supplements each day.

These tips only work for fresh acne scars and not for old ones, but they could be worth a try for you.

Rosie