I am new to this forum and also a chemical peel virgin! I am so excited to say I have my first TCA peel booked which will be a 20% peel. I understand there will be downtime of about a week and of course I will ask my provider but I'd also like to ask you.
- Will I be able to go out in the sun after my peel?
- Would it be best to take time off work?
- Will I be in pain after the peel, and do I need to do something special when I sleep?
- Can I take painkillers if there will be pain?
- What can I do to prevent scarring?
- What else do I need to know about TCA peel aftercare?
Thanks in advance
Hello! It is great that you are asking so many questions. Taking your aftercare seriously will definitely help you avoid some of the more common side effects of TCA peels. Having that, although it is great to ask people on the web for their thought, you should of course check everything you read with your provider, always.
As long as you keep that in mind, here are some answers:
- Definitely ask a friend or someone to drive you home after the peel, rather than driving yourself.
- Yep, sleep in an elevated position. Make sure you sleep on your back and consider one of those U-shaped travel pillows to prevent your face from turning.
- Stay out of the sun and use a sunscreen in accordance with your provider's instructions.
- You do not have to take time off work, if you do not mind looking really embarrassing in public. Your skin will peel and you will look pretty nasty. For about a week.
Hey, to answer your questions directly:
- Exposing your skin to the sun directly after a chemical peel, even if you are using a sunblock, will work against the results of the peel and can even lead to severe reactions. Follow your provider's instructions in this case, but generally speaking, avoid doing anything other than walking from your car to your office/house/the mall, etc.
- You may experience some mild discomfort after your peel but should not have actual pain after the peel is finished.
- You won't need to take time off work unless you do work out in the open where your skin would constantly be exposed to sun, but can if you want to.
- You need to increase your use of moisturizer in accordance with your physician's instructions. (Yeah, you do need a physician applying the TCA peel.)