Hello

I just got a chemical peel for the first time five days ago. I was told that it would look fine the next day, but after two days I had redness, peeling, burn-looking skin. My skin is very clearly damaged right now. Please help me with directions on how to heal my damaged skin from chemical peel burns. What products can I put on there to make it look normal again and how long will it take for my skin to heal from the peel? Also is this normal, because I was told it wouldn't be like this?

Thanks. 

Amber

Celebrity

I answered a question that was basically exactly like yours on another thread, except the poster had done the TCA peel at home. You don't mention which type of peel you got. I am going to assume you either had a superficial peel, probably with glycolic acid, or a medium peel, probably with TCA. In either case, the peel will hurt a little while you are having it done, but it should not cause you much discomfort once you get home. 

Redness and peeling, however, are completely normal. The peel damage the outer layers of your skin, which will now peel off. You will notice new, fresher looking skin underneath, and it will take anywhere from five days to two weeks for it to heal, especially if you had a deeper peel. In other words, what you are describing does not seem outside of the realm of normal at all, and since you had it done professionally, I would not be too worried. 

You should, however, stay out of the sun or use a sun screen, use ointment, and wash your face with the product your dermatologist told you to use. Have you been following aftercare procedures after your peel?

thank for the post rosie.......... same problem as hers!

While that sounds completely normal, you could try applying hydroquinone if you are experiencing hypopigmentation issues, and mederma to help with the redness and especially if you have raised scars on your skin. In the meantime, make sure you stay out of the sun. The risk of damage depends on the strength of peel that was used as well as the acid that was used. Surface peels are pretty safe, but medium and deep peels do come with risks. If you had one of those, make sure you check in with the clinic where you got the peel for a consultation, and they will also be able to put your mind at ease if nothing is wrong.

I wanted to share my experience in case it might benefit you. I am not saying that what happened to me will happen to you, but it may make you feel a bit better.

I applied a 30 % TCA peel at home a while back. I had to neutralize it after less than a minute because the burning was too much to bear. Afterwards, my skin was very dark and started scabbing very heavily within a few days. I was worried sick that I'd have permanent scarring and at that point I went to a derm. Turns out I was using Retin-A the whole time before the peel but you are supposed to stop that. That is probably what led to the heavy scabbing. Anyway, I got prescribed an anti-scarring cream and now, two months after that peel, I look normal again. There is no permanent damage or anything.

The way in which you take care of your skin after a chemical peel really makes or breaks things. (What you do before matters equally much, but let's face it: if you have already had a peel, it is now too late for that!) So, what do you do after your peel? Here's what you don't do. Put all the stuff you normally put on your skin on your skin, including makeup, serums, deep skin care brushes, that kind of thing. Here's what you do do. Cleanse your skin with Cetaphil or something equally benign, and use Cerave on your skin to keep it moist. Also, wear a sunscreen with the very highest SPF you can find, if you go out in the sun at all. A sun hat also helps. Keep in mind that your skin can'tr handle UV rays after a peel. Like, really not. And there you have it. That's pretty much the way to get good skin after a peel.

Suggestions for chemical peel aftercare:

1. use Aquaphor until the skin is no longer red and inflamed. Vaseline is an alternative that some people love.
2. Once your skin recovers to the point it no longer looks terrible, make sure you use a moisturizer for sensitive skin on the treated skin. Cetaphil and Cerave are both very popular for this purpose.
3. Use 1 percent hydrocortisone in addition to the Cetaphil or Cerave.
4. You must use a sunblock of at least SPF 30 after having a peel. This is not negotiable.

Should you follow these tips, your skin should recover with two weeks.

After a chemical peel, you can expect:

- Dry, red, and irritated skin after a surface peel. The new skin that comes after your peel can be lighter or darker than your old skin.
- Pain, stinging, redness, tightness after a medium peel. Swelling, crusting and darker skin are also common. Redness can sometimes persist for several months.
- Lots of swelling, redness and discomfort after a deep peel. Darker or lighter skin and even cysts can occur.

In order to heal from a peel, it is important to follow the aftercare instructions for the peel you received very carefully, applying the lotions recommended to you and taking care with sun screens. If you have pain, an antiinflammatory pain killer will help you as well.

What cream were you prescribed?

I think you to get proper consultation and treatment from dermatologist can really make the difference you can definitely get some sort of relives..