I had a problem with acne, during my teenage period, and four years after that I have stuck up with a new problem – acne scars. They look like a red marks and I can`t get rid of them. I have already tried some treatments, with antioxidants, to keep my blemishes under control, but that was not a permanent solution for those ugly, red acne scars. I am depressed and have lost self-confidence. What to do?

You have a pigmented scars, which is the most common, that show up after an acne lesion has healed. This type of scarring is actually a post-inflammatory change on your face. If you have no more acne developing in the area your skin will heal in 6-12 months. These are early acne scars and you can treat your skin with tretinoin and formulations of Alpha and Beta-Xydroxy Acid. Some studies have shown that antioxidants are no good – Vitamin E on a healing wounds is not so effective. Maderma is good for the treatment of freshly healed wounds, and there is also Neutrogena Advanced Solutions Acne Mark Fading Peel. It is most crucial to avoide the sun! However, if non of this do you any good, you can always try laser treatments, filler substances (the best on shallow acne scars) or substitutes, punch excision, subcision, dermabrasion, microdermabrasion or chemical peels.