In terms of spending money on a car???

Took Chris's car into the shop last night and they called with the estimate on the repairs this morning.

The compressor on the a/c needs to be replaced again!!!!! and the bushings on a control arm or something are going bad and then some ball joints??? on the control arm are going bad also!!

This is after spending money February that we thought would hold us until we could pay off the truck this summer and save money until next summer to replace it.

Now she is depressed since she has to get a used car and I got the new truck almost 4 years ago. She always feels like she is sacrificing and that is a whole other battle.

Sorry for the vent!!!

Eric

I'm sorry to hear that! If it's not one expense, it's always another. I'm sorry the car broke down before you could save up for a new one!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my old beater will hold out another 33 months!!!

As far as where/when to draw the line--I'm not sure, but you'll know it once you've passed it. :?

When you find it's no longer worth repairing the old girl it is always shortly after spending $700 to $1500 to revive it for what you had hoped would be a few more years.
Last year I spent $900 fixing a rusted rear quarter and some mechanical repairs for state inspection and was expecting to do the other rear quarter this year. About 30 minutes after I dropped it off for that work and the state inspection my phone rang. It was my mechanic saying I needed to come over. He had the real wheel off where the rust work was to begin and showed me more rust than we expected, all through the wheel well and back seat floor. It also needed an idler arm and tie rod end which was to be expected due to the mileage. When taking into consideration the other rust on the front corners and both sides that would be needed in the next couple years it was the right time to say goodbye to the old girl. It had a good 38 year run and was time for it's dirt nap.

It had a very good application of (factory?) undercoating (rust proofing) and looked really good for it's age but that wonderful undercoating that was in such good shape was hiding the fact that there was no metal left under it.

Last year it was the Jeep I used to plow my driveway and a few neighbor's driveways. I spent $1200 on it the year before replacing the brake lines and other stuff for inspection then the frame was too rusted to repair for the next year's inspection. No problem, I already had it's replacement but when we took it to the mechanic to have the plow moved over to the replacement the engine blew 2 miles into the 4 mile drive over there. Towed it the last 2 miles with a chain using it's replacement. Looks like I got about the last mile out of it but it would have been nice to have not spent that $1200 the year before but it always seems to work out that way.

I've never traded in a vehicle, I always keep them until they die but it's hard to decide exactly when to let them go and I usually end up wishing I had that last $1000 or so.

We have a make of car that will remain nameless. We had to buy four new tires back in November. Said car requires "special" tires that cost $200 a piece. The oil change itself costs $80. Disgusting. Dh bought it during a very weak moment a few years ago and I was not in on the decision for specific reasons. If I could I would get rid of the thing and buy a Toyota.

You know I just bought a late model used car in December and I don't know about Florida but in Wisconsin it is a great used car market. I picked up a '99 Bonneville for a great price. $3K below value. All the new car incentives out there have really helped if looking for something nice and cheap. Just an idea. :twocents:

we here ya. Hubby was thinking of buying a pickup truck, so decided to get the brakes on his Mountaineer fixed. $1600!!!! Decided that he better keep it awhile longer. He's talking about buying me a used convertible though . My minivan is not quite 2 y/o. But I think he's trying to recapture youth for me???!!!!!?????

Rule numbah one of autos in a peaceful marriage... make sure your wife has the newer car.

FB.. I'd get that one fixed and then sell it pronto. You've lost faith in it and every dime that gets spent is just going to be more aches to your wallet and your head. I just bought a Tracker for $3k and am parking my truck until gas prices come down again. A little 4-cyl is better for ya right now anyway :)

Come down again, where are you? I filled up yesterday at $2.11/gal. Haven't seen them much lower than that recently, maybe 10 cents or so. $4.00 a couple years ago.

Get the compressor fixed because you can't sell a car in FL without AC. That other front end stuff is more of a longer-term failure and will affect the tires/handling down the road. Sell it before that has to be fixed.