A friend and I were driving down an unfamiliar dirt road and there was a curve that I failed to negotiate. Lost control and rolled the 1985 Chevy Blazer onto its top in a ditch. Only one of the doors would open a little bit because we were wedged in.

We both walked away unharmed.

I was leaving the school after a track meet. I had my Cutlass Supreme(it was a real junker) and it started to rain...I had trouble seeing in the rain, and ran into a parked car.

I was 14.

I'd had the car about a month.

It was pretty tragic.

You could get a license at 14 or they just don't care in SD how old you are when you drive?

i haven't been in one myself *knock on wood*

when i was really little i was in one... all i know is my auntie (who was really old) had to go to the hospital because she hurt her neck. everyone else was fine. i think we were rear-ended.

my brother on the other hand has had three cars written off - none of which were his fault. 8O

I was 17, headed out to register for some summer college classes and I was on a two lane road--there was a mail truck (sorry Andydp) parked at a funky angle on the road. Its bumper tore up my front quarter panel. (Actually my mom's car, that she paid for out of her own pocket--so I felt super terrible) I was not faulted by the cop, either. The mail lady harrassed me at my job later saying I had caused her higher insurance rates. wtf?

I ordered the parts and paid for them and my dad and I fixed them up. Some azzhat ran a red light and totalled it (with her in it) two months later. :x

You get a learner's permit at 14, which allows you to drive basically during daylight hours....like 7 am to 8 pm.

teee heee.
First one. I was driving an Army Transport truck, 2 1/2 for you army folks. i was at a stop light and i put it in gear and lurched it forward. well the CV joint was found to be broken. however i lurched right into a mini pick up and pushed the engine actuallt back a foot so the MP report read.

I was able to see the driver's eye grow to twice the normal size. no one was hurt thankfully but i am pretty sure that was the start of my "not like to dive" i was actually learning to drive on this truck.

It was an overly foggy Saturday around midnight. I was 17. A group of us took two cars to go TP a girl's house. Middle of nowhere - none of us had ever been there before. We got to the house and all agreed we didn't want to waste the TP on her, so we decided to drive to another guy's house that seemed much more fitting.

We got back in our cars - the other guy in front of me. It was foggy enough that I couldn't even see his tail lights. Well, up came a sharp curve. Neither of us saw the sign for it. He went into the cornfield first, I followed and couldn't steer out of the way - BAM.

No one hurt, but $2000 damage to his car and $1500 to mine, and since I hit him, my insurance had to cover it and it skyrocketed to $1500 per 6 months.

Oh, almost forgot - after reporting it to the police, we both got tickets for inattentive driving. He lost his license and I was down to 2 points left. Had I steered clear, we'd have been able to make it out needing nothing but a carwash. :?

When I was a senior in high school, my mom had me go to the grocery store. I took my sister's '65 Mustang. On the way, maybe a block from home, I heard this ticking in the back seat. I turned around and there was a bag or a box or something. While that had my attention, I slid into a pick'em-up truck parked in front of a house. Even though I got a concussion, I remember three things from that episode: 1. The Mustang was totalled. 2. The truck had $10 in paint damage. 3. I walked home, told my mom what happened, and went to the park to shoot some baskets. I got in no trouble. My sister, on the other hand did... I never did find out what was ticking, though I know it was not a clock. :|

I was 15, I had a freshman football game in which I scored the first and only points of my high school career, my sister was taking me out to dinner for me scoring and playing well that day. Half mile (and only 2 blocks from my house) away from where we were going to eat a corvette pull out in front of us through an intersection an bam!!! Both cars were totaled, my forehead and mouth were cut (concussion) and my sister racked her knee up. The dumb chick in the vette walked out fine. First time I was ever in the back of an ambulance!

Junior in high school......drunk, girl in back seat, driving fast through high school parking lot, T-boned a big, mean senior driving his brand new GTO, like this:

for some reason, he didn't beat me up, the girl in the back seat strained her back and neck, but the family didn't sue me, and I wasn't even suspected of being drunk and was not breath tested or arrested or anything........I was really, really lucky.......it could have screwed up my life for a long time......

Almost 14 yrs ago. Had son#2 who was about 5 months old in his carseat facing the rear in the front seat. Out in the country on a flat/straight stretch of road. Car approches from the right in the distance and stops at the stop sign. Sets there several seconds n pulls out just as I get there. I hit him broadside in the drivers door of his mini van going 55mph.. :( I was driving a big old Oldsmobile. My knees were trapped up under the dash/steering wheel and briefly knocked me out. I open my eyes to see my baby looking at me screaming bloody murder. Then I smell something burning. The cig lighter some how ignited and popped out landing on the baby's blanket. :? One of the scariest days of my life. :(

To this day if a car approaches suddenly from the right I freak, grab the dash brace myself and my right foot punches the floorboard. :umno: I'll prolly cause an accident someday doing this. :|

I was 26 and coming home from work in a 58 Chrysler New Yorker and stopped in a line of traffic because the bridge was up. Guy in an early 60s Falcon drove into my left rear corner hard enough to bend my frame, totaled his Falcon. Pushed me into the car in front but not too bad because I saw him coming and had my foot hard on the brakes. He said he was watching the boat coming up the river and never noticed the stopped traffic in front of him. Said he estimated he was going about 30mph. His insurance had to pay for everything. One guy riding with me claimed whiplash no one else was hurt. His insurance adjuster tried to cheap out on me after I got the estimate to straighten the frame and do the body work and I had to remind him it was HIS guy who hit me. I told him that my car was fixed up for towing with heavy rear springs from the local truck spring shop, air shocks and trailer brake control, push bar welded to front frame for pushing my dragster and custom  trailer hitch welded to the rear frame plus I recently had all the rust fixed, seats reupholstered and it was like new. Back then the trailer brake controls were hooked into the hydraulic brake lines not like the ones of today. He acquiesced then he argued about me going to one place to get the frame straightened and another for the body work. I told him to ask around town for who to go to for the frame, there was only one guy who was known for his superior frame work and he didn't do body work.

I was 17 and me and some clown I had a huge crush on went to the mall.
The cars in front of me stopped quicker than I was anticipating at a stop light and I bumped the car in front of me. There was no visable damage to the car at all. The police came, the fire truck came, even an ambulance came. I got a ticket for: "Failure to exert the highest degree of care while driving." Then to top that off, when the cop asked me if I had been wearing my seat belt, I thought I would be honest and say no. All that got me was another ticket. :duh:

As a passenger it was with rtpd copteacher driving we were about 20ish

As a driver, when I was about 23, I was driving my mom's car, and I looked down to change the radio station, and I slammed right into the back of a 1975 Monte Carlo. Nearly totalled my mom's car, scratched the bumper of the the MC. It happened right in front of OLPH Catholic church and the first person I saw was the priest. I was thankful he wasn't giving me last rites :umno: