Hi all! I was in a car accident in the beginning of June where a truck ran a red light while I was making a turn. As a result, my car was totalled and I got to take a ride to emerg by ambulance. I noticed right away that my left foot hurt.. a lot. When I finally got my shoe off, it was swollen to twice it's normal size and had a nice looking lump on the top of my foot. I was certain it was broken. I couldn't bear weight at all and it hurt to even flex my foot and toes. They did x-rays in emerg, didn't see anything out of the norm and sent me home with crutches and instructions to bear weight as tolerated. A week later, my foot was still swollen, bruised to the whole top of my foot and bruised to the bottom of my foot as well (at the arch). I still couldn't bear weight so went back to emergency. They did another set of x-rays (both sets were non weight bearing) and sent off a referral to a podiatrist due to the continued pain. The podiatrist I saw sent me for a bone scan which came back showing a fractured cuboid and lateral cuneiform. My foot is still swollen and the bruising on the bottom of my foot has gotten worse. I still can't weight bear even in an air cast. I saw my dr today for a follow up after the bone scan and he stated another 4 weeks non weight bearing in the air cast. No need for weight bearing x-rays and no mention of a possible lisfranc injury. I follow up with him again in 2 weeks to see if there's any improvement. 

From what I've read, it sounds like a lisfranc injury. The pain in my foot is directly midfoot. It's been 4 weeks since my accident and I've been on crutches the whole time. Does it sound like a lisfranc injury? I'm contemplating a second opinion.

Sounds exactly like what happened to me. I know I am replying a bit late but if you're in the same boat as me, your foot is still in bad shape. I was in a car accident on 7/16 in which a man ran a stop sign and totaled my car, I also rode in an ambulance. Mine was my right foot though, and my injury happened because I slammed on the brake really hard and then all the force of the accident was put into that foot. I had a giant lump on the top of my foot and the paramedics told me it was likely very badly broken and that I should not look at it, which is of course what I did. In the ER I was told it was just a bad sprain, but was sent to an orthopedic surgeon because of the mechanism of injury. Saw ortho the next day, still diagnosed as a mid foot sprain, put in a boot for two weeks to allow swelling to go down. Weight bearing xrays at the next appointment showed separation between my first and second metatarsals at the joint. Sent for a CT scan which showed comminuted fractures of both the base of the second metatarsal and of the medial cuneiform, which is a Lisfranc fracture. Told by doctor that I wouldn't be able to walk for at least 12 more weeks. Put in a hard cast for two weeks, went back for more xrays, then put into my current hard cast for 4 more weeks until my next appointment. I am anticipating to be put into another cast for 4-6 more weeks or to have surgery done if the bones aren't healing. Hope at this point you have figured out what is really wrong with your foot!

It could be a Lisfranc injury but then the doctor knows best. It seems to me that you are not satisfied with the kind of treatment you have been given. In that case it is always better to go for a second opinion so that your mind is in peace and you feel that you are getting the best treatment that you deserve. 

Hi teemak2
It does sound that it could be a lisfranc injury, but not all are operated on.
Some people just non weight bear for 13 weeks.
If they are seeing you in 2 weeks time, they may well x ray again to see if the fractures are healing correctly and consider surgery if necessary.

I think if you are still unhappy you should consider a second opinion.

Please update and let us know your situation.

Take Care

Medew