My friend has disorder of this incurable sleep disorder, called narcolepsy. He told me this disorder has long mystified scientists. However, I have heard that lately, several discoveries found that molecular brain malfunctions might participate in the development of the ailment. I found that some new insights are focusing the search for targeted human treatments for narcolepsy, so can you tell me more about it?

That is true some new researches are trying to find solution for narcolepsy, as well as other types of sleeping problems. This brain disorder, which afflicts an estimated so many people is marked by an uncontrollable, overwhelming desire to sleep during the day. Patients reported that attacks could occur at any time, even in the middle of a conversation about yesterday's homework. Narcoleptics also may experience vivid, scary dreams and a temporary inability to move before or after sleep. Bouts of sudden muscle weakness, termed cataplexy, also may interrupt their life. A laughing fit or other experience tied to a strong emotion will set off the weakening, causing problems ranging from a slackened jaw to a complete body collapse. In this problem narcoleptic appears to be knocked out. Narcolepsy's myriad traits have made it extremely difficult to study, which is also great problem with these people, as I guess your friend experienced. However, several recent findings are rousing the field, and much of the new work links special chemicals to this disorder.