For some time I am having problems with sudden sleep attacks. I can sleep anywhere. This problem caused me trouble on my work. People around me don’t understand what happens to me. Someone tell me that I am narcoleptic. So, I wonder am I narcoleptic. Does anyone can explain what Narcolepsy is?

Hi! Narcolepsy may be difficult to diagnose. First you need to know what Narcolepsy is. Narcolepsy characterized by sudden sleep attacks, sleep paralysis, and sight or hearing hallucinations at the onset of sleep. It begins in adolescence or young adulthood and lasts throughout life. Its cause is unknown, and no defects are found in the brain. People with narcolepsy have an uncontrollable urge to sleep many times in a day. Sleep periods may last from a few minutes to several hours. Temporary loss of muscle tone occurs during waking hours (cataplexy). Amphetamines and other stimulating drugs are used to stop the attacks.