As I control my blood pressure every 5-6 days, I’ve noticed that it sometimes gets up to 130-85, and it has always used to be 120-75, 80. I know that I should start with antihypertensives. I’m 52, male and do not take any other medications that can make interaction with hypertension drugs. So, I am not sure which hypertension meds are the best to begin with? I’ll certainly visit my physician but just want to get opinion from experienced with hypertension meds.

I think that it is not that simple. It depends on severity of hypertension, presence of other diseases, general patient’s health, age etc. Diuretics reduces amount of fluid and salts in body and lowers bp that way, they are used in combination with other bp medicines. Beta blockers make heart beat slower, pump less blood and lower bp. ACEI block synthesis of one hormone that is responsible for vasoconstriction. These medications are the most commonly prescribed, but there is number of others. All of them have side effects. So the point is which side effects are less uncomfortable.