Hi, I suffer from high blood pressure. My doctor has tried many different drug combinations on me, but none of those were very helpful. Now he wants to try another combination that contains a diuretic drug. I am very skeptic and do not believe that this will help me. Do you know if diuretics are good for hypertension at all?

Hi, high blood pressure is one of the most common conditions in modern world society. It can have very serious consequences, including heart attack and stroke, if it is not treated. On some cases, it is not even detected until it is too late, so you should be lucky that your doctor figured it out in time. There are many medications used to treat high blood pressure and diuretics are one of them. They work by helping you to eliminate excess water from your organism. With the water the sodium salts are eliminated. These salts are one of the causes of high blood pressure and by eliminating them, the blood pressure drops. Diuretics are rarely used alone, but rather in a combination with beta blockers. I am sorry to hear that you can't find the right therapy to help you with high blood pressure. Maybe this new combination with diuretics will help you.