Hello! My father woke up two nights ago with extreme pain near the joint of the big toe His joint was swollen and turned a shining purple. We went to see his doctor and he diagnosed acute gout. He prescribed Naproxen and told him not to consume alcohol, especially beer, and that he should avoid food such as liver, sardines, kidneys and other with high content of protein and purines. Our neighbor says he used to take Colchicine since it is better anti-inflammatory agent then Naproxen. Is this true?

Hello! Naproxen is non-steroid anti-inflammatory drug used in treatment of acute gout and arthritis as well. Many doctors prescribe it since it shows really good anti-inflammatory effects in treatment of acute gout. Colchicine is also medication for acute gout but it works differently than other anti-inflammatory agents. It has very narrow window between toxic and therapeutic effects and that is the reason why NSAIDs are better option. It can damage the bone narrow and cause severe anemia. Maybe your neighbor can't take NSAIDs and that may be the reason his doctor prescribed Colchicine to him. I hope Naproxen will work well for your father and I think your doctor made an excellent choice.

CAN CHOLCHICIN AND NAPROXEN CAN TAKE IT AT THE SAME TIME?

can you take naproxen AND colchicin the same day, within hours of each other