Hi everyone,

A good friend of mine was diagnosed with acute idiopathic pericarditis yesterday. This was a shock to me because we are very close and, I don't really know anything about this condition, but it doesn't sound good to me.

When I talked to him, he told me that there are two types of idiopathic pericarditis, that these are acute and reccurent and that he has the acute one. He is supposed to see his doctor tomorrow in order to get his treatment but until that happens, I want to ask you guys here, what are the treatment options for people with acute and recurrent idiopathic pericarditis?

Hi Adria,

I can help you get a closer look at the treatment options for acute and reccurent idiopathic pericarditis.

Treatment of idiopathic pericarditis has long been empirical. The European Society of Cardiology published the only treatment guideline for pericarditis almost a decade ago, and many of the recommendations were based on opinion because of the lack of available study evidence.

I know that people usually use anticoagulants, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), colchicine, and glucocorticoids in order to treat their idiopathic pericarditis. Aspirin and other NSAIDs are the first-line approach, based on clinical experience and observational reports. In one study, aspirin had 87% success rate..

Hi you two,

I actually had a friend who was diagnosed with recurrent idiopathic pericarditis and he used colchicine to treat it, it's one of the options for treating idiopathic pericarditis, Stradivarius mentioned it above as well. His doctor prescribed it to him saying that it's the best option for treating this condition out there.

Colchicine is known to be very effective when it comes to reccurent idiopathic pericarditis, and when it comes to acute idiopathic pericarditis as well. There was a small study done which compared the effects of aspirin and colchicine on patients with reccurent idiopathic pericarditis. Colchicine showed better results than aspirin. 

Hi everyone,

I have a relative that is suffering from idiopathic pericarditis, I'm not sure which type though, but I know that he's using some sort of a steroid therapy. I did a little research and this is what I found out about it.

Steroid therapy has long been used to treat pericarditis because it induces prompt symptomatic relief; however, glucocorticoids should not be used as primary therapy in uncomplicated acute idiopathic pericarditis because of a high rate of relapse when the steroid is tapered or stopped. As owing to the side effects associated with long-term steroid therapy, glucocorticoids should only be prescribed to patients with idiopathic pericarditis who are refractory to treatment with, or intolerant of an NSAID plus colchicine.

Hey everyone.

I can talk about acute pericarditis since I am very familiar with it. The therapy of acute pericarditis is targeted as much as possible to the underlying etiology. Well, in the patients who are diagnosed with an identified cause other than viral infectious need special therapy.

The good thing is that most patients with acute pericarditis can be managed very effectively with medical therapy and medical therapy only. There is no need for some bigger and more complicated treatment.

Unfortunately I can’t tell you lot about recurrent idiopathic pericarditis since I don’t know a lot about it.

Good luck. 

Hey everyone. I am really sorry about your friend especially because I know how the treatment and this diagnose can be hard to understand for the patient. I was diagnosed with acute pericarditis three years ago and since then I am struggling to find the proper treatment. Yes, it is true that medications can help a lot in this case, and when it comes to recurrent idiopathic pericarditis you can use colchicine to treat it and it is very effective. Anyway it is way better than aspirin and I do know that a lot of people are recommending aspirin for it.

Good day everyone. My husband is diagnosed with recurrent idiopathic pericarditis. Recurrent pericarditis is a common and often vexing problem for some specialists in pericardial disease. The term refers to a syndrome in which acute pericarditis recurs after the agent inciting the original acute attack has disappeared or it is not active anymore. Treatment is with medications usually, but most of the time pericarditis is mild and it is usually treated with simple treatment. Of course, sometimes to prevent complications your doctor can prescribe more intense treatment as well. It is different story in every patient, it depends on how dangerous this disease is for someone. My hubby is using only medications.

Good day friends.

There are several treatments and I don’t know which treatment is the best, because I know that one of my friends has some special therapy, and another friend of mine is using only pills and nothing else. I don’t know does food or some diet program play huge rule in it, but I am sure that it can help.

I have heard that aspirin really can help. My doctor told me this and I do know that aspiring has a lot of benefits for every disease.

I don’t know but I would definitely try it.

Good luck. 

Good day everyone.

Acute and recurrent idiopathic pericarditis is usually treated with colchicine and aspirin as well. My cousin Penny had this diagnose and her doctor prescribed aspirin to her at the beginning. Very soon she started to be immune to aspirin and she was feeling really weak. So she went to see her doctor and he changed her therapy immediately. He gave colchicine to her and she started to feel much better.

So I believe that this is different in any case because for some patient aspirin is better choice than colchicine.

Good luck with the treatment. Wish you all the best.