Hi everybody,

So my father was just recently diagnosed with acute coronary syndrome. His heart suddenly stopped, I later found out that this is called cardiac arrest, he was taken to the emergency room and it is there where the doctors realized that he has acute coronary syndrome.

Now I talked to the doctors and they told me that this is not so dangerous if it is diagnosed quickly and treated properly. They told me that my dad shouldn't be in trouble because of this.

They prescribed him Prasugrel but somebody told me that Clopidogrel is better. What do you think, which one is better?

Hello Stradivarius,

There was actually a study done in order to determine which one of these two is better. The study lasted for two and a half years involving 7243 patients aged bellow 75. 

The ending results regarding the patients who used Prasugrel and patients who used Clopidogrel didn't differ a lot. Although they didn't differ a lot, Prasulgrel showed a bit better results than Clopidogrel did. The primary end point of death from cardiovascular causes, myocardial infarction or stroke occurred in 13.9% of the Prasugrel group and 16.0% of the Clopidogrel group.

Since your father was prescribed with Prasugrel, he can just use that.

Hey you two,

I actually found out that there were numerous studies done regarding the benefits of both Prasugreland and Clopidogrel. I found out that these are more or less the same, and that the place where the study was done had the effect on which one seemed to be better. I'm not sure how does the place where the study was done fit in this story, but it does.

For example, I know of one study that was done in 11 centers in India. This study suggests that Prasugrel is more effective than Clopidogrel as an anti platelet drug. Both drugs were well tolerated and have comparable safety profile.

Hey everyone, Your father should take Prasugrel if he was already prescribed with it, and I share opinions with Health n Joy and Adria, I think that Prasugrel is better as well. I've also heard about that study that was done in India. I also heard that it isn't very smart for somebody to switch from using Prasugrel to Clopidogrel or the other way around, it's not so safe, keep that in mind. Rather than these two medications, there is one more used for treating acute coronary syndrome which is Ticagrelor. I found out that Ticagrelor is better than Clopidogrel.

Hey there everyone.

So my mom was using Prasugrel and she never had any problems with it. But I have heard that this medication can cause serious life – threatening bleeding and if you have any condition that are causing you to bleed more than usual, you need to inform your doctor about this.

This medicine can cause bleeding in your stomach and I have read somewhere that it can cause bleeding in your head as well. Also, I know that some people had stroke because of it.

As you can see, some people don’t have any problems with it while some of them have. I don’t know anything about clopidogrel.

Hello. I am reading your comments and I need to tell you that I do agree with everyone in here. The truth is that prasugrel or clopidogrel have totally different effect for every patient. No one cannot actually tell you what is best for you or which medication is better. It is not possible because every other patient will react differently. For example, I have heard that no one should use prasugrel, but on the other side I have heard that clopiodogrel is not good as well.

Now the question is what to use.

You can understand what am I talking about.

Hello. I can tell you what my experience is since I was using both of them. I am reading your comments and I need to tell you that I disagree with some of you. Prasugrel therapy appears to be safe even if it has some side effects. I was reading some researches and I found out that there is no signal for increased rate of bleeding while you are using prasugrel. I was using 5 mg dose and I never had any problems with it. Actually, my doctor switched me from clopiodogrel to prasugrel. So I think that it is safe. At least it was in my case.

Hi guys.

I don’t have experience with any of it, but my neighbor has. I remember because I was buying her Clopidogrel one day because she was sick and she couldn’t get up from her bed. And I do know that she had a lot of side –effects because of it. She had chest pain, deep dark and purple bruises, itching, redness. Basically, she had all side –effects that one medicine can cause.

Doctor told her that he can switch her to prasugrel but that this medicine has a lot of side – effects as well.

I am not sure what is the best for you.