Hello! I have terrible headaches sometimes. It usually happens around my period and I feel terrible during this time. I can’t go to work and I usually stay at home sleeping in my room. My mother says it is migraine since I feel the pain in just one part of my head and I feel sick at the same time. Also, I can’t look at the light. Since my mother is using Naproxen for her osteoarthritis I took one yesterday when pain started and I felt good. Could I get Naproxen prescribed for my migraine attacks?

Hi! The first thing you do, when your headaches are so intensive and often, is to visit your doctor. Also, you made a mistake by using Naproxen without doctor’s prescription. You should never take any medicine without consultation with your doctor first. Naproxen is usually used to treat osteoarthritis and, as all NSAIDs, it should be taken exactly as prescribed, at the lowest dose possible for the treatment and for the shortest time needed. You probably didn’t know that patients with cardiovascular disease may be at greater risk when using it. Since migraine has probably cardiovascular cause I don’t think Naproxen would be the drug of choice for migraines. There are many other medicines more suitable for migraines but you have to visit your doctor first and he will choose the right therapy.