Hello there guys. I am extremely worried after I spoke to my friend. Can you tell me is it true that recurrent pericarditis is hereditary? Please, tell me that it is not. Well, my cousin (she is really close related to me) had this and now one of my friends told me that there is a huge chance for me to get it. I am scared, because I already have a lot of heart problems and I really don't want this. I am wondering is there any way to prevent this? Can you tell me how can recurrent pericarditis be prevented?

Tnx. 

Hello there La Yl La.

I am not sure is this hereditary or not, but I don’t think so.

It is a little bit hard to tell what is the best for you and how to prevent it, but doctors will tell that colchicine is the best option. Now, I think that this option should be considered as a first – line treatment. It has been used for centuries so I believe that there is a reason why. It is used as an anti – inflammatory agent for acute gouty arthritis but in the last two decades it has been used to prevent pericarditis.

Good day everyone.

I have heard this as well, but I don’t know how effective this is. I know that recurrent pericarditis can be treated with medications to reduce swelling such as non – steroidal anti – inflammatory drugs even if we do know that antibiotics may be used if there is a bacterial infection. Well, colchicine is often used to prevent recurrent pericarditis and it can also prevent symptoms returning.

Also, the treatment of chronic pericarditis will depend of underlying cause.

You should also know that some cases require medication, while some other require the surgery.

Have a nice day there! 

Hey there guys. Thanks a lot for you information. Can you tell me more about this colchicine since you agreed that this is the best option?

I want to know will her doctor tell her more about it, for example where to buy it and how to use it? Because I am sure that he will tell her.

I never have heard about this, to be honest with you, but if it can help me I would be really happy. I am going to tell my cousin about this and I am sure that she will see some progress very soon.

Hello La Yi La,

Well, in the last few years Colchicine has appeared as a useful drug for preventing reccurrences, although the mechanism is not fully understood. Even though it is not fully understood, it continues to show great results for preventing reccurrent pericarditis so doctors are continuing to suggest this medication to their patients. It doesn't show any side effects which is a great thing for a medication since most of the medications nowadays have at least few side effects. 

I know of one more way of preventing this, it is a procedure called pericardiectomy, but it is of doubtful efficacy. 

Hello everyone,

Colchicine is indeed the best way to prevent reccurrences and has a very high rate when it comes to this. My brother is suffering from this condition and his doctor prescribed him with Colchicine, once he started using it, he got a lot better.

Pericardiectomy, the procedure that you mentioned Bee, is the surgical removal of a portion or all of the pericardium. The pericardium is not essential for normal heart function. In patients with pericarditis, pericardium has already lost its lubricating ability so removing it does not make the situation any worse. Removing the pericardium does not cause any problems as long as the patient's lungs and diaphragm are intact.

Hi guys,

Patients with less severe pericardium constriction may be treated with anti inflammatory drugs. When constriction of the pericardium comes on relatively quickly (within 3 to 6 months), a syndrome called transient constriction occurs, it may be due in part to inflammation of the pericardium, and this condition may resolve with medications.

For the most advanced cases, doctors mostly recommend the procedure that Adria explained, the pericardiectomy. The risks of having complications during this procedure are great, so only a cardiothoracic surgeon experienced in the procedure should do this. Older patients, woman and patients with other medical problems are at even greater risk for complications.

Hi everybody,

It is true that the best prevention of recurrences in people with pericarditis is exactly Colchicine.

I myself have trouble with pericarditis, at least I had before I started using Colchicine. My doctor recommended this one for me instead of the surgery and he said that this is the best possible treatment for pericarditis. I decided to give it a shot by taking one pill of Colchicine a day. I swear, I tried different medications for different conditions but none of those medications worked as good as Colchicine did. I'd recommend it to anyone who has problems with recurrent pericarditis.