Why am I bleeding two weeks after my period started? A few days ago when I first noticed this it was just on the toilet paper when I would wipe then a day or so later I started seeing blood on my underware. Now tonight just laying in bed I felt it just gush out and soaked my underware through to my pants in less than a second. It is a bright red blood. I have an iud so don't think I could be pregnant. Please help. I'm getting so scarec

Hi there

Yes, an IUD can cause bleeding between periods. I will list more side effects below -

Bleeding between periods is not a normal part of the menstrual cycle. On average, the cycle is 28 days long with a four-day period of bleeding. A cycle between 21 and 35 days long and a period that lasts between two and seven days is normal . Any bleeding outside of this is considered abnormal and can be caused by a variety of factors:

• Hormonal imbalance: Estrogen and progesterone are the two hormones that regulate your cycle. If they get out of balance, you may have spotting. Dysfunctional ovaries, thyroid gland problems, and starting and stopping birth control pills, can all affect your hormone balance.
  • Intrauterine device : This type of birth control is a plastic device inserted into the uterus. It can cause abnormal bleeding.
  • Pregnancy complications: Complications during pregnancy can cause spotting. Both miscarriages and ectopic pregnancies — which is when the fertilized egg implants itself in the fallopian tube instead of the uterus— can cause bleeding.
  • Uterine fibroids or polyps : These are non cancerous growths that form in the uterus. They are not uncommon in women who have had children.
  • Infection : Vaginal bleeding between periods may indicate an infection of the reproductive organs. Infection can cause inflammation and bleeding and may be from a sexually transmitted infection, may occur after douching or after intercourse, or may be due to pelvic inflammatory disease (marked by inflammation of the reproductive organs leading to scarring).
  • Cancer : Less commonly, cancer of the cervix, vagina, uterus, or ovaries may cause bleeding.
  • Rare causes: Other possible causes of vaginal bleeding are rare : having an object in the vagina, extreme stress, and diabetes.

Please revert to your doctor for proper evaluation. Good luck