Hello, folks. My aunt suffers from very high blood pressure. As far as I can remember she has been over weighted. I wonder whether having a heart condition would make one put on weight. It seems to me like it does. What do you think? I will gladly hear out your opinion.

Hi. I would rather say that it is other way round. I think that the obesity and being overweight is something that is an important risk factor for developing heart condition. These people eat fatty food. These high concentrations of cholesterol and fats are accumulating into the blood vessels. Then, coronary arteries become narrowed. On that terrain, angina pectoris or even heart attack can develop. The elasticity of blood vessels is also impaired. Salty food is also bad for blood pressure. It is believed that high concentrations of sodium in the blood vessels’ wall are responsible for hypertension.