My grandmother has coronary artery blockage. She needs to go to surgery because of that. I’m worried too much because I don’t know too much about this disease. Her doctor told me that everything will be ok but I’m still afraid. Can somebody who knows tell me what causes coronary artery blockage? Thanks!

As I heard, atherosclerosis is by far the commonest cause of coronary artery blockage. Unlike coronary spasm which creates a temporary blockage, atherosclerosis results in a fixed blockage. As material inside the arteries builds up, the blood paths flowing into and out of the heart muscle get smaller and decrease the blood flow. But there are many other causes like high blood pressure, diabetes or cigarette smoking.

Hello there,

Coronary artery disease is atherosclerosis of the coronary arteries which is responsible for producing blockages in the vessels which nourish the heart itself.

Atherosclerosis occurs when the arteries become clogged and narrowed and when they restricting blood flow. Without normal blood flow from the coronary arteries the heart becomes lack of oxygen and vital nutrients which it needs to work properly.

The most common procedures to treat coronary artery disease include balloon angioplasty, stent placement, and coronary artery bypass surgery. All of these procedures should increase blood supply to your grandmother’s heart, but you must be aware that they do not cure coronary heart disease. Your grandmother will need to decrease her risk factors to prevent future disease.