Hello everyone,

My boyfriend was feeling bad these days, he had high blood pressure that he wasn't able to lower down so he went to see his doctor. This doctor, after some analyses, told him that he has pulmonary hypertension which is actually high blood pressure that occurs in the arteries in the lungs. It is a different measurement altogether from systemic blood pressure. It reflects the pressure the heart must exert to pump blood from the heart through the arteries of the lungs.

He told me that during their conversation, his doctor mentioned heart attacks. I was wondering if there is any connection between these two? 

Hey Adria,

As far as I know, pulmonary hypertension cannot really cause or lead to a heart attack, it only makes you have fatigue, dizziness and shortness of breath. The heart works harder, trying to force the blood through because of the high pressure. If the pressure is high enough, eventually the heart can't keep up, and less blood can circulate through the lungs to pick up oxygen.

It is actually a pretty hard thing to diagnose because people usually think (regarding the symptoms) that they are just out of shape and that's why they get tired so easily. This condition affects women the most.

Hey you two,

I don't think that this condition could cause a heart attack. My grandma had it and she never seemed to have any big problems because of it, neither did her doctor tell her about any possibility of her having a heart attack. I believe that the pressure in lungs and heart cannot be big enough for it to happen. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think that I'm not.

I remember that she was using some drugs for this matter but I don't remember which ones, that was long time ago, but your boyfriend's doctor should prescribe him some.

Hey everyone,

Nope, it can't cause a heart attack but it can cause something else, which is perhaps even worse. Your heart may become so weak that it can't pump enough blood to your lungs. This causes heart failure. Heart failure is the most common cause of death in people who have pulmonary hypertension.

This condition doesn't have a cure yet. Treatments include medicines, procedures, and other therapies. These treatments can relieve pulmonary hypertension symptoms and slow the progress of the disease. Lifestyle changes can also help control symptoms.

Your boyfriend needs to follow the instructions which his doctor is going to give to him.

Hey guys.

First, you need to know that human body has two circulation systems. The first is systematic and the second is pulmonary. Well, typically blood pressure, high blood pressure and hypertension refer to the systemic pressure throughout your body.

Pulmonary hypertension is very high blood pressure that usually occurs in the arteries in the lungs. So we all do know that high blood pressure can cause heart attack. According to that there is a huge connection between heart attack and pulmonary hypertension as you can see.

I really hope that this is clear for you. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Hey everyone. I hope that you are fine.

MakeMeCoffee, I need to disagree with you. Sure that there is a connection between heart attack and pulmonary hypertension, but it can’t cause any heart attack as far as I know and as far as doctors explained to me ( I hope that I understand it well.).

There is a connection but I don’t believe that it can be fatal.

I know a couple of persons with pulmonary hypertension and neither one of them had any heart attack.

So, that is why I believe that there is no connection.

Have a nice day. 

Hey everyone. I have to tell you that I agree with everyone in here. First, I believe that it can’t cause a heart attack, but it is something that can cause your heart to work improperly and it can become weak. On the other side, I believe that hypertension in some cases can cause heart attack because if you are diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension, you are having problems with high pressure. And high pressure can lead to heart attack. So there is a connection but I am not sure which connection and theory is proper. Ask your doctor for more information.

Hey there.

I am reading all your posts and it does make sense, but I believe that pulmonary hypertension can’t cause heart attack even if we all do know that this is connected with high pressure. I believe that in this case you really don’t need to be afraid.

But if you are having chronic heart failure, the resting pulmonary hypertension can directly affect right ventricular function and this can lead to some serious problem.

In any case, it needs to be controlled.

I am really sad do tell you that still there is no cure for it. I hope that someone will find it soon.

I have IPAH and 6 days ago had a right side heart attack due to IPAH. Any form of PH puts a person at risk for a heart attack.