Hello everyone,

My boyfriend went off to the hospital today to do some tests. He was having some sort of a chest pain from time to time, only briefly, so we suspected that he might have some sort of angina. Anyway, he got back, he told me that he is okay but I wasn't convinced. After some time, he admitted that he was diagnosed with coronary artery spasm, and that it is not a big deal and that it will go away on its own.

Does anyone know anything about this since this disease is new to me, is this something to worry about?

Hey Bee,

Well, if I were you, I would worry about it. This thing can cause some additional complications and could eventually lead to a heart attack.

A coronary artery spasm is a sudden tightening of the muscles within the arteries of your heart. When this occurs, your arteries narrow and prevent blood from flowing to your heart. Symptom is an angina like pain in the chest which lasts only briefly, just like you said. Usually, people who have high cholesterol or high blood pressure are more prone to having this condition. It would be smart for your boyfriend to start treating this as fast as possible.

Hi guys,

Stradivarius is right, it is something to worry about, since this is known to be one of the causes of heart attack.

It is important that your boyfriend starts with his treatment soon and lucky for him, the treatment is easy to follow. It includes several types of medications which need to be taken every day (only one out of these several types), he should be on a special diet which his doctor is going to tell him about, and he needs to stop smoking if he's a smoker. He will also have to take medicines for high cholesterol or high blood pressure.

Hey guys,

I agree with everyone, he needs to start treating this right away if he doesn't want to have some long lasting consequences. When this condition is left untreated, besides a heart attack, it can cause a person to develop a heart arrhythmia, which occurs if your heart beats too slow or too fast, or cardiac arrest, which occurs when your heart stops beating suddenly because blood stops flowing to your brain, so basically, this can cause death.

I'm sorry that I have to tell you this this way, but it can be very dangerous, as you can see, no doubt about it.

Hey everyone,

I appreciate that you took your time to write to me. I just talked to my boyfriend about the things that you guys just wrote and he told me that he knows all about this condition, but he didn't tell me anything so that I wouldn't panic.

Apparently, he is doing okay, he has no complications whatsoever so far, and he did already get some medicines that his doctor prescribed him to take every day. He said that he didn't get any medications for high cholesterol or high blood pressure because he obviously doesn't have any of these two things.

Good day there.

A coronary artery spasm is a temporary tightening - constriction of the muscles in the wall of one of the arteries that supplies blood flow to your heart muscle. This can narrow and decrease or even completely prevent blood flow to part of the heart muscle. Everything that has to do with the heart needs to be observed carefully. I think that this is not that huge reason to be concerned as long as you keep control it with your doctor and some medications as well.  In that case the doctor will tell exactly what you need to do.

Good day everyone. It depends. If the spasm lasts long enough, it can lead to chest pain or angina and even a heart attack. These spasms are sometimes or I can say very usually referred to as Prinzmetal's angina or variant angina. Unlike typical angina, which usually occurs with physical activity, coronary artery spasms often occur at rest, often between the hours of midnight and early morning .Coronary artery spasms are more common in people with risk factors for heart disease, such as high cholesterol and high blood pressure, but the spasms can also happen in people who have no risk factors. Yes, they are definitely reasons to be concerned.

Good day there. I am sorry to tell you this, but definitely it is. It is a reason for you to be scared. I know that my aunt was thinking that this is nothing serious and she left it like that, she was “treating” it occasionally and after three months she had heart attack. After that heart attack she started to look at her life differently and she told me that every issue that has to do with the heart usually is causing concern. So, anyone who has coronary artery spams should talk to his/her doctor and find the best treatment for it. Good luck.