Hi everyone,

My aunt moved to another country when I was 16 and the two of us were really close, I spent more time with her than I did with my mom. I still get to see her few times a year but it is just not the same, you know. 

We talk a lot over the internet, we chat and make video calls and stuff, and the last time we talked to each other, I heard her husband behind her telling her that her symptoms look like those of coronary artery spasm. I asked her what was that all about and she told me that he is just talking nonsense and that she is fine, so I would like to know if anyone here knows what is this and what are its symptoms.

Hey Guest,

A coronary artery spasm is a sudden tightening of the muscles within the arteries of your heart. When this occurs, your arteries narrow and prevent blood from flowing to your heart.

Coronary artery spasms are brief and temporary. However, they can potentially lead to further heart complications, such as a heart attack. You’re more likely to have these spasms if you have conditions that can affect the heart, such as high cholesterol or high blood pressure. If you know that your aunt has high cholesterol or high blood pressure, they might be the cause of this. I hope that she starts treating this if she really has it.

Hi Alan,

As far as I remember, she always had some problems with her high blood pressure. She was taking some medications for it and I think that she is taking them today too. 

I don't think that her husband was lying, he probably wasn't and my aunt just doesn't want me to be scared for her. You said that it can lead to a heart attack, but how exactly dangerous is it? Do you know the odds for success when treating this, are there any surgeries involved in the treatment? And you didn't tell me anything about the symptoms of it.

Many coronary artery spasms go undiagnosed Guest because they don’t always cause noticeable symptoms. This can be dangerous because the contractions may eventually cause a heart attack, like I have told you already. The person who is having this condition may notice occasional light chest pain. It’s also possible that this person is able to detect other symptoms of a coronary artery spasm. Common symptoms can include chest pain or angina, pain on the left side of her chest, chest tightness, or a feeling of constriction.

She might as well experience pain that spreads from her chest to her arms, neck, or jawbone.

Hi Guest,

Treatment for a coronary artery spasm focuses on relieving chest pain. This mainly involves prescription medications, such as nitrates which can help dilate your arteries and relax artery walls. A nitrate may be used as a long-term medication or as a pill to have on hand if you have another spasm. L-arginine is a dietary supplement that can prevent spasms. Calcium channel blockers can reduce chest tightness by relaxing the muscles in your arteries. This medication may be taken on a long-term basis.

Your aunt will also have to be on a special diet and she will have to quit smoking if she is a smoker.

Hey Health n Joy,

Yep, she is one hell of a smoker. My parents talked to her a dozen times so far about the cigarettes but she just isn't listening. It is probably going to be the hardest thing for her to do regarding this treatment, I wonder if she is going to be able to live her life without her cigarettes, it is going to be the biggest challenge she has ever had.

Well, if it is just medications, she should be fine then. I was worried if there were any surgeries that have to be done because I know she wouldn't agree to undergo one.

Good day there.

Well, if you are dealing with coronary artery spams, there is a need for you to be worried. This is actually a heart problem that manifests with chest pain, and that chest pain is a common symptom of coronary artery disease. However, people without fixed, severe coronary blockages also can have chest pain due to a rare condition called coronary spasm. A number of the people with coronary spasm is very small, but the disorder is often misdiagnosed or not diagnosed at all. Now, about the symptoms - certain patient can be without having one single symptom. 

Hey there. Like others already told you, you can have symptoms and you can be without one single symptom as well. But there are some symptoms that can be a sign of coronary artery spasm. For example, you might notice some light chest pain and that is maybe the only symptom that you can detect. Of course, there are some other symptoms that are similar to any of the heart issues. For example, angina, pain on the left side of your chest, maybe you can feel some chest tightness. If you feel any of those symptoms, consult your doctor immediately.  

Good day everyone.

Here is an explanation or answer to your question. The most understandable definition of  coronary artery spasm is that this is a temporary narrowing of one or more of the coronary arteries. The coronary arteries supply blood to the heart muscle vas you already know. Coronary artery spasm may cause no symptoms but often causes angina pain in the chest and that is the most common symptom, not some chest pain or headiness. The chest pain often occurs while you are resting and during the night. Coronary artery spasm can usually be treated with healthy lifestyle advice and medicines. The outcome is generally good. So don't worry.