Hello, guys. My father was on a routine check up at his doctor’s office last week. Although he had no symptoms at all, he was found high blood cholesterol levels. I must admit that this worries me a little. I wonder what can go wrong with people with high cholesterol. Does anyone know?

Hello. Usually high cholesterol does not manifest with symptoms. High cholesterol makes plaques that are located into the inner part of blood vessels. Usually this appears in coronary or cerebral vessels. In the beginning, the occlusion is in smaller percentage and does not make any damages to a certain organ. But when the occlusion reaches more than 75%, symptoms may appear. First of them is angina pectoris. The heart suffers from the lack of oxygen that is transported by vessels that are obstructed. As a symptom, there is a chest pain. This can be complicated by heart attack. If this happens on cerebral arteries, stroke is possible. As you can see, complications are serious. That is why your father should go for diet and meds that lower blood cholesterol.