My Surgery is only 10 days away!! o.O I have one internal prolapsed hemorrhoid to be removed. Have been trying to get some feedback from some of you that have experienced this. I would like to know how my fiber and stool softners to take after the surgery.? I was also told I could probably go home right after the surgery, read where others stayed overnight?. Any recommendations and tips would be great! THANKS

I had 2 large internal and 1 external removed.  Ask your doctor now for a list of what's recommended post-surgery so you can buy everything ahead of time.  Miralax is great for keeping the BM soft, but not liquid.  My current surgeon's instructions were for 2 doses a day at first, then reducing until it's no longer needed. And you should increase your fiber before surgery so it's not a shock.  Not too much fiber, though, because that will make your BMs bigger and firmer.  Add fiber-rich foods to your diet and only take fiber supplements if your doctor recommends it.

I can't give you a completely positive report, but since nobody else has answered I hope this will help.  I had the surgery in December 2012 when the pain was making everything uncomfortable for me, and then the spontaneous bleeding was becoming more and more frequent and I had practically no interest in sex or exercise because of it.  That is all better for me and I'm glad I had the surgery.  However, I did have a complication: anal stenosis.  It went undiagnosed for 6 weeks and got so bad the doctor couldn't even examine me with his pinkie finger.  I think if it had been discovered sooner, I would be in better shape now.  I've had dilation under anesthesia 3 times and still have to take Mirlax once a day.  I've spent on my anal stenosis procedures than I did on my hemorrhoid surgery.  I am much better now though and my last checkup (in July) was much less painful and the doctor said he doesn't think I'll need any more surgery or dilation.  Yay!

What I should have done is have more trust in what I was feeling and what I thought was going on and insisted my surgeon examine me.  If you notice your BMs are thin and you have to strain to get them out, make an appointment right away.  I was happy my surgeon didn't think it was necessary to cause me pain by examining me during my checkups, but I would have gladly taken that pain if I could have avoided the problems caused by my stenosis.  So listen to your body and don't feel intimidated by your doctor.

Good luck and report on your results.

Thanks so much for the tips tb1 ! My surgery is Friday...I am so nervous! It is comforting to see that you are glad you had the surgery. I am having the same problems...bleeding, can't exercise, etc. I am 28 years old and love being active. So no matter how nervous I am I know this surgery is a must for me, so I can get back normal. Hate to hear you had stenosis problem...that's good you are better now though..Even with a complication you are still glad you had it done..this make me feel a lot better!

I am going to buy Miralax today! & I will be sure to listen to my body..
THANKS AGAIN! I will report my results!

Well surgery is over. It's beenover 2 days post op. Good so far, not really experienced much pain but I am taking the percoset perscribed. I was also given lyrica right before my surgery and one yesterday. I felt really out there... They said it would help with the pain, must have worked. The only problem I experienced was not urinating well after the surgery and yesterday. After every bath the warm water seemed to help. I am now able to pee normally thank goodness. Now I'm just waiting to have my first BM! Will be glad when thats over!! I have been mostly eating soups, apple sauce, fruit. Tomorrow @ 3 it will be 3 days....if I have not had a bm by then should I do the milk of mag.? Will update later. Any tips thanks 

I'm glad your pain is under control. I took the milk of magnesia after a couple of days with no BM, but when that didn't work either my doctor recommended the magnesium citrate (yuck!). That cleaned me out. But you should call your doctor's office for their recommendation as it may be different due to the type of surgery you had. Have you tried the Miralax? It's the best laxative I think, in that it doesn't cause diarrhea. But it doesn't work right away either (at least not for me). The first BM is scary, but they do get better. And jump into the shower right away and hose off. It was over a week before I attempted to wipe back there. I just sprayed it away to stop the burning and to clean myself. If your butt hurts after the BM, try an ice pack afterward. That was a big help and helped me to cut back on pain pills.

Good luck!.

I did call the dr today. He said to go ahead and take the milk of magnesia. My stomach doesn't hurt or anything but the nurse said he wants me to go ahead and go. Dreading this part!! I mentioned the miralax...he said stick to metamucil & stool softners for now & the milk of magnesia. Thanks for the luck...I need it!

One more question...Did you have swelling that looks like hemorrhoid. I mentioned it to the nurse and she said it's most likely swelling, b/c I can see stiches in that part. That would suck so bad if I had a new hemorrhoid....praying it's just the swelling though. People said don't look back there for a while but I couldn't help it.

I had a very small BM. I drank the milk of Magnesia, but it hadn't even been 30 minutes & I went. Very little, but not painful at all. I was happy to see that little t*rd! haha. I didn't even attempt to wipe..shower and bath for a while!! I can tell there is light at the end of the tunnel. Not too bad so far. Thank GOD!

If I heal up good from the swelling..(I have read several other posts and it seems alot of people have swelling that looks like a hemorrhoid..thats normal for after surgery.) I will be very pleased with this surgery.I had a wonderful colon/rectal surgeon and that has so much to do with it. I could see how the wrong dr. could really mess you up.

Congratulations! I'm glad you're doing well. People on this forum will appreciate another success story.

Thank you!! & thanks for your replies! Had 2nd bm already...I have a feeling I will not be sleeping much tonight, the milk of mag is working.

Did you too experience the swelling I'm talking about?

I did have some swelling. I don't know how early on my new hemorrhoids developed and if some of the swelling was a actually them. But I did a lot of straining and I don't think I looked till after a week. Some of that has faded from my memory too. Sorry.

Oh no, hate to hear you have new hemorrhoids. :( That sucks!
I noticed the swelling before my bm, & I can tell that part has stiches in it. Hoping for the best!

loveandpeace hello 

good to hear that you are doing fine :) my surgery is next week Monday .. and was wondering about the swelling? 

are you ok now? does it look better ?

Hello HinHam,

I am doing pretty good. I went Thursday for my 3 week post op check-up, the dr. said everything looked good...he took out a stich and I felt relief right away. I told him I thought it still looked pretty swollen. He said it is perfectly normal. It just takes time for the swelling to go down. It has continued to improve......patiently waiting.:) Pretty much back to my normal routine though. No pain really, even with bm...only used advil since about day 9. Hardly no bleeding. I bleed one day after I had a couple bm..that were too hard. Got a hot bath, and took just a little Milk of Magnesia and it did the trick. I haven't used it since...it's just finding a balance & keeping your stools soft. Overall I am glad I had the surgery!! Even though I am not 100% yet....I can already tell that I am better than I was before the surgery.

Good Luck on your surgery. You will be fine. Do not let the horror stories on here scare you. Just get prepared before your surgery. Have some advil, Milk of Magnesia, stool softners and your fruits and veggies ready for after.

Thanks lot of the quick answer :)
happy that u are doing fine ... frankly speaking i was so scared after reading all the stories, but still deciding to have, am not in pain or bleeding but from last week my external hem was swollen and uncomfortable, so decided to go hospital and even got 3 doctors diagnosis which was i need to have surgery and have it cut ...
well i was uncomfortable talking about it with my bf but as he knew it he just encourage me to have it done so later no problems come .

i will be admitted 2 nights 3 days (one night before surgery) and doctor said that i will need 2 weeks rest but if necessary can go to work after one week, am not sure if i will be able as everyone here is saying that even after 2 weeks its still hurt ... and am of course concerned about my first BM too ((((

my question is, did u had someone to take care of you first week ? as am working overseas far from my family and not living with my bf .. was wondering if i need to ask friend to come and stay with me couple days ...

and was wondering about after showering or bath how did you dry the area?

am looking as everyone said for the light in the end of tunnel...

For my surgery I left the hospital right after the operation. I live an hour away from the hospital and I did fine on the way home. I couldn't feel anything for hours after. You do need to plan to rest...I really would not want to go back to work after one week. I know everyone is different though. I was really nervous about my first bm too...but really it wasn't that bad. The first one is the worst...I bleed the first time. The pain was really not bad though. Nothing like I expected! One thing that helped was stopping the pain medicine when you can tell the pain is getting better (b/c pain meds cause constipation) I did stay on schedule with the medicine the first week though. You know your body better than anyone else..you will know what to do.
I was lucky enough to have my parents stay with me through this. Get someone to stay with you for a few nights...they can fix you something to eat. That really helped me. I didn't want to get out of bed the first few days. At least you are staying in the hospital the first night.
I just let it air dry..after drying off the rest of your body you are dry. I have not wiped the area yet. I probably could now. Buy some baby wipes too...I used them to wipe after peeing the first week. I just didn't want to chance hurting that area.
There is light at the end of the tunnel !!