I am entering my 50s and I think it now necessary to do something about the effects of age. Not to blow my own trumpet, but I don't look that old yet and people are often surprised when they learn my real age. That said, I don't look the way I did 20 years ago any more, and I'd like to do something to keep up my youthful appearance. My main problem areas are my neck, the area around my mouth, and those crow's feet around my eyes. 

So, I thought we could have a fun chat about your top three antiaging products. Say you're going away on an exotic vacation and you can only take three antiaging products. What would be in your bag?

OK, I'll play.

1. Philosophy: When Hope Is Not Enough. This is a firming and lifting serum for the face. I love Philosophy's products anyway, but this one is great for anti-aging.

Why I love it: Because it hydrates without making the skin oily, and because it really is lifting and firming. It just feels wonderful on the skin.

2. Skinceuticals: Retinol 1.0.

Why I love it: Because it makes me look younger, smoother, and glowing (glowing, not shining — very important to note!)

3. Sun screen. Yes, really. Any sun screen that protects against both UVA and UVB.

Why I love it: Because it will protect my skin from skin cancer, signs of aging, and keeps my face safe because I use Retinol, which makes the skin even more sensitive to sun.

Those three are my absolute must haves. What are yours?

* Olay Definity Deep Penetrating Foaming UV Moisturizer SPF 15.

I like it because it is much cheaper than some of the other products I tried and works just as well. I also like the mousse structure of it. Just a nice, user friendly, product to use. Of course I appreciate the SPF as well, because I do not like using that separately and it is so important. I am sure I would forget otherwise.

* For eyes: Patricia Wexler MD 3 in 1 eye cream.

I like that it does not irritate my eyes like some products I have tried do, and that it does seem to redefine those crown's eyes. When you put it on, it feels smooth and nice.

* For the body: Because that gets wrinkles too. Olay Body Quench Plus Age Defying Lotion.

Because it softens the skin without leaving that heavy feel of product behind on your skin, and because it has been proven to target fine lines on the body.

So I'm pretty young and I'm not really using anti wrinkle stuff consistently right now. I pretty much buy what I feel like, you know? If something with that Q10 stuff is on special offer, yeah, I do go for that. Other than that, don't smoke, don't drink too much, don't use sun beds. That's my anti wrinkle plan anyways. That, and try to eat decently. I do love to splurge on higher end products when I have a little extra, and I like Estee Lauder. The girl at my local counter always manages to talk me into something, you know? That's how I ended up with this Advanced Night Repair thingie. It comes in an oblong type brown bottle and looks like oldie worldie medicine, LOL. Smells disgusting, frankly, but makes the skin feel kinda refreshed and tightened so I suppose if you're getting on a bit it would really help. That's all I can really think of, mind you. 

1. SKINCEUTICALS retinol 1.0. Your skin will flake like crazy when you first start using this product because it's retinol and that will do that to your skin, but after you get used to it this product makes you look like, five years younger? I am very impressed with it and would recommend it to everyone willing to listen! Like with every retinol you cannot leave the house without wearing sunscreen if you use this. But you should be doing that anyway.

2. MURAD Vitamin-C Daily Renewal Complex. Awesome product. Makes your skin look brighter, younger, and nicer. The effects are immediate. I do not regret buying this product.

3. Dr WEIL Mega Mushroom Skin Relief. This is a great serum for those who want to tackle those deeper lines in their skin. Your complexion brightens, your wrinkles lessen, and your skin feels soft.

OK, I could go on: there are so many great products around, and this is simply what I like at the moment. Maybe I will do another post to list three more of my go-to products. For now, though, these three are really awesome products that will help you take years off your face.

ROC Retinol Correxion deep wrinkle serum has done a lot for my skin. Being 48, I was starting to show some deep wrinkles. Within four weeks of starting the serum, they are almost gone. I know it sounds too good to be true but I am not joking. I also had deflated cheeks for lack of a better word, and this serum helped me a ton with that as well. If you get this, don't skip the neck area. That turtle neck was one of my worst issues, and it is so much better now. It is not often that one comes across a product that one truly loves, but this serum qualifies.

This is what the American Academy of Dermatology, obviously a very reputable source, has to say about selecting antiaging products for your skin:

• The top most effective antiaging products are ones you probably would not see as being antiaging: moisturizer and sunscreen!They say to look for broad spectrum and an SPF of at least 30. 
  • Though moisturizer and sunscreen alone are most likely to offer the most dramatic effects, there are also other effects of aging that cannot be treated with those. Not all age-related skin problem can be treated with a single product, so if you have pigment issues, look for something to treat that, if you have sagging, look for something to treat that, if you have bags under your eyes look for an eye cream, etc. You get the picture. 
  • Buy products for your skin type, so dry, oily, combination, etc. 
  • Look for products that are hypoallergenic and not highly perfumed, and non-acne causing products. 
  • GOOD ANTIAGING PRODUCTS COME IN ALL PRICE RANGES. THE MORE YOU SPEND, THE BETTER THE EFFECT, IS SIMPLY NOT TRUE!!!!
  • Don't expect miracles. Because in the end everyone ages, and that is OK. We're only human. 

OK, they don't say that in those words, but that is the gist. I found this to be extremely helpful and hope you do too.

I like Neutrogena rapid wrinkle repair serum, which contains both retinol (great thing!) with hyaluronic acid. This is amazing not just because it really works - and it does, I noticed very real wrinkle reduction within one month of using it so it is rapid - but also because it is so much cheaper than other products that are made with comparable ingredients. I love this one. And for every day use, I am a fan of Aveeno clear complexion BB cream. It makes your skin look great without making it look "too much" and it contains anti-age ingredients at the same time.