Celebrity

OK, weird request perhaps, but the regulars here already know me... I go for the natural stuff whenever I can, and if I can make it myself, even better. So, it's pretty nice weather right now and I sure like to wear summer clothes that don't make me look like I'm dressed for skiing.

Because my skin is dry by nature, sun exposure makes it even drier in my case. Does anyone perhaps happen to have any suggestions on how to make a DIY anti dryness and anti tanning body lotion? Perhaps even something with zinc oxide?

If you're in the know, sharing is caring :).

Rosie

I can tell you a few things, I think. Shea butter and coconut oil are both meant to have slight SPFs, naturally incorporated in them, and they are both without a single doubt highly hydrating. Glycerin is another option you should look into for very dry skin. Regarding zinc oxide, I think you can buy that as a powder and just mix it in, though you may need a lighter oil such as jojoba oil to get the consistency you desire.

I am no expert though, and I not have any recipes for you. Nor do I know whether the SPF strength would be something you could accurately calculate when using DIY ingredients.

So, I know already that posting links is not allowed here but I also don't want to share a recipe painstakingly created by someone else just like that, so I'll just say there's a DIY sunscreen recipe out there made by "Scratch Mommy". Search her and you'll see. The ingredients anyway are coconut oil, apricot oil, bees wax, shea butter, zinc oxide and vitamin E. Not only does this recipe smell wonderful and protect very well against the sun, there's also that it is incredibly hydrating in a non sticky way, you know? Highly recommended so please look her up if you are interested.

Cool idea!

I have never considered making my own sunscreen or body lotion and I honestly do wonder what you mean by an anti-tanning lotion, but I'm assuming it just means sunscreen. I am amazed to find that there's people out there who actually do this and I'm wondering, how affective is that and how do you know what sun protection factor a homemade sunscreen would be giving you? You can't, can you? I do love the smell of apricots so that sounds great.

Well, my friend has been telling me something interesting: she suffers from really dry skin on one of her legs due to nerve damage, and a mutual friend brought back a cannabinoid cream from Spain. My friend also suffers from pain in her leg, but the cannabinoid cream helped her a lot with the pain and also helped with the dry skin, which she was not initially expecting. How weird is that, hey? My friend lives in the UK and the cream can't be obtained there but it's legal in Spain and over the counter. Maybe something to look into?

Just a heads up here: cannabis based lotions and creams are not legal in all states of the US either. Anybody who is interested should certainly verify the legality of these products before purchasing them online from another country!

I'm wondering though, if your friend's dryness perhaps improved because the underlying condition improved. For more simple dry skin, more conventional moisturizing products should work equally well and there should be no need to potentially wind up in legal trouble.

I am really liking Avene hydrating sunscreen for face and body, SPF 50, right now. It's water resistant and just gives that extra hydrating factor that I really need during summer when I'm out and about. I do not have dry skin naturally, just want an extra boost, so I do not know how this product would live up to expectations in someone who does have severely dry skin, but it is worth a try I think. It does not leave that nasty finish some sunscreens do either, which is important to me as well.