Hiya,

Having heard so much about vitamin C serums on here and in other places over the last few weeks, and seeing them around in shops too, I'm pretty sure I want to get one. So yeah, if you can offer me a specific recommendation that'd be grand for sure, you know? But though they're all different I'm thinking how you use it matters most of all. So can anyone with all the info give me advice on this? When during the day should I use a vitamin C serum? How much of it goes in the skin? Just a few drops right? I've read people caution against overuse when you first get it, yeah? So I'm figuring that I can only use it once a day or perhaps not every single day when I first get it? 

Alrighty... those are my q's for now. TIA for your answers, lovelies!

You use Vitamin C serum on your face and neck twice a day, every day. Here are some guidelines that will help you make the most of your Vitamin C serum:

- Choose a vitamin C serum with 10 percent L-ascorbic acid or more for the most powerful results.
- First wash your face until you are sure it is clean, then leave it moist and apply your serum right over the top, using your fingertips. Make sure to apply it using circular motions, and after applying your serum, wait five minutes before applying anything else to your skin. After letting the serum sink in, then apply moisturizer or night cream as you normally would.

Hope that helps.

So I use it twice a day, yeah? I've heard that there's different percentages, but some people also say you should start with a lower dosage as it were, yeah, to prevent redness and tingling because the skin needs to get used to that stuff. Any truth in that? Which brand do you use? And did you ever like get damaged skin 'cause of it? I wanna go for the glowing healthy look, you know, that might allow me to wear less makeup :). If I get redness that's no good to me if you know what I mean. Another thing I've heard is that vit C is really unstable. That makes me wonder what the best before date on those serums is. Do you know anything about that? (These questions are for just anyone, basically...)

If you're worried about making the bottle last longer, know that L-ascorbic acid stays in the skin for days. That means you will benefit enormously even if you just use it once every other day. You can also apply it every day but only once. If you have super sensitive skin then yes, you can end up with issues if you start out applying it every day, because it also exfoliates. I'd start off applying it once a day and see how it goes. If you get any irritation, scale back to once every other day. I apply mine in the morning, by the way.

You use Vitamin C serums to gain an improvement to your complexion, reduce hyperpigmentation, and wrinkles. You actually get in in a few different forms. If your skin is sensitive, which may be why you are worried about redness and other side effects, you may want to look for vitamin C ester rather than vitamin C. This is less likely to dry out and irritate the skin. There is one by Perricone MD that is simply called "Vitamin C Ester Serum". That is the one I would recommend to you. This is ideal for sensitive skin, but you do need to have more patience before seeing results. Don't worry though, as the results do come.

I can only share my experience, which was completely unexpected. I'm in my mid-twenties and bought vitamin C serum to improve my skin tone, which is what pretty much everyone says it will do. I applied it all over my face including to my lower eyelids. The next day, and I kid you not, it really was that quick, I woke up not just with red bumps all over my face but with visible wrinkles around my eyes, wrinkles I didn't have the day before. I know it's possible that continued use would have changed all that, but I didn't want to risk it. I never used it again.

I wanted to reach out and tell you that side effects from Vitamin C serums are quite common, but most of them can be avoided quite easily. L ascorbic acid is incredibly acidic. If you start off using a serum with a very low PH level, then redness, irritation, and peeling can result. By building up slowly by using a serum that has no more than 10 % L ascorbic acid, you can avoid these side effects. Let your skin adjust for a few weeks before moving onto a stronger serum, and the side effects will not bother you.

Also, oxidized vitamin C can lead to side effects. You need to store your product in the fridge and either make sure it contains stabilizing ingredients or use a powder to add to your moisturizer. That way your vitamin C serum will be fresh and your risk of side effects goes down a lot.

Hope that helps, because vitamin C can really make the world of difference to your skin if used in the right away. You may want to consider giving it another go. Probably not with the same bottle though, because it will have gone bad in the meantime.

Celebrity

Vitamin C serum is absolutely worth considering. Here are some of the benefits you can expect:

• Wrinkle reduction and prevention
  • Reduction of age spots and sun spots
  • A fresher, healthier looking complexion
  • Contributes toward preventing skin cancer

The one I recently got is by serumtologie. It contains vitamin C (22 %) as well as hyaluronic acid and vitamin E. It is less expensive than some of the other serums, and I love it. My skin has been looking so much better since I have been using it (though my under eye circles are still not gone, but I live in hope), and it has not irritated my skin in any way. I use it once a day, in the morning under my moisturizer.

Thanks for the info. Yeah, that's the stuff I read about, about redness and irritation caused by acidity. I didn't know to look out for high pH levels though, that's a good tip, thanks hon. Once a day it is then. Got any particular recs re the exact product is best to buy? I'm pretty much a newbie and I'd like to know that I'm going with the right thing. I'd like something that don't go bad too quickly for sure, you know?

Thanks to you too, Rosie. Yeah, I'm still a bit confused TBH 'cause several folks mentioned to only use 10 per cent... so the one that you mention sounds interesting. I see it's on Amazon and not as costly as some of the other stuff out there, but wouldn't that stuff be too strongly for my skin? Could I, like, dilute that or something? Or is that a crazy ridiculous thought? I do like the thought of having other stuff that's good for the skin added in there as well. Glad to hear you didn't get no irritated skin but I'm still concerned.

I have C E Ferulic by Skinceuticals. This is one of the very best serums on the market: it provides protection against the environment and free radicals, reduces wrinkles, and works for 72 hours after applying it. As tempting as it may be to use more, I follow Skinceuticals' own instructions. They advise users to apply it once a day in the morning, using no more than four to five drops for the face and neck, after cleansing and toning. After having used it for... roughly eight months now, I can attest to its efficacy. My skin looks markedly younger and firmer, and generally beautiful.

Yeah, I'm curious. How does that Skinceuticals serum truly compare to other, cheaper serums? I mean, I would love to reap the benefits and get awesome looking skin as much as the next person, but that stuff isn't exactly a steal is it? I am sure it works. The question is, what else can I get that works just as well without the hefty price tag? If you or anyone else have any recommendations, I'd be really happy to hear them. I THINK I once heard that there is a similar serum that has basically the same composition but that is cheaper, but I don't think what it is.

I believe the product you are referring to is Vitamin C + E Serum Advanced Formula, made by Cosmetic Skin Solutions. The PH level is not as good as with Skinceuticals, but other than that they have the exact same ingredients and many people are very happy with it. At $40, it is certainly a whole lot more affordable than Skinceuticals' CE Ferulic serum, which if I recall correctly is more in the range of $160? This will dry your skin out more, however, so you need to follow it up with a very good moisturizer. Hope that helps you!

Vitamin C serums offer the most effective antioxidant protection, which means you are right to include it in your skin care practice. By fighting free radicals, vitamin C serums can prevent your skin from being damaged by pollution, the sun, and the things you eat. If you use it daily, you will see less wrinkles, firmer and plumper skin, reduction in pigment spots, reduction in acne. reduction in irritation and redness, and boosting of UV protection for the skin. For serious concerns use concentration of 20 percent. Otherwise, even less than 1 percent will offer you protection against wrinkles.

Given that we are all exposed to both air pollution and harmful rays from the sun, which Vitamin C helps combat, it makes most sense to apply your Vitamin C serum first thing in the morning. This way, its antioxidants will work for you to keep harmful influences at bay all day long. It is best to first apply your Vitamin C serum and then to follow it up with a good sunscreen as well. This way, you are doing the best you can to keep your skin healthy and looking great.

HTH