Hi!

My husband told me that I have "blackheads" behind my ears. I admit that I do not usually look there, because it is hard to see, but I did look with the help of two mirrors and he was right, I seem to have clogged pores behind my ears. They are not blackheads exactly. They are little bumps. 

My questions are what causes this, and what product do people use to unclog pores behind the ears? Or is it OK if I just leave it like this? Oh, and does anyone else have this problem? I had never even heard of this being possible. 

Thanks!

That's not nice, is it? I had clogged pores behind my ears myself and it didn't take another person to tell me about them because they were really painful. I tried keeping them moisturizers and using a toner every day as well as cleansing the area together with my face every day. All to no avail. When I started using Retin-A, though, they cleared up really fast. You need an RX for this, but it works wonders for all kinds of acne. Once it got better I stopped using the Retin-A thought I still use moisturizer on that area every day just in case.

Hi!

Thank you so much for replying! I have heard about Retin A before and its over the counter counterpart, retinol, but it didn't occur to me to use that for my clogged pores because they're in such an unusual place! So, my question is, do you think retinol will do the trick? I don't particularly want to go to the doctor about this. I am going to try that first in any case, but would like to hear your opinion.

Thanks!

Yes, I think retinol will help you see results. Do ensure that you regularly cleanse your skin with a gentle anti-acne cleanser such as Cetaphil as well, and exfoliate regularly. When you use any retinoid, it is extremely crucial to use a good sunscreen because retinoids make your skin much more sensitive to the sun. Good luck and I hope your problem is solved in the very near future!

I had pimples around my hairline on all sides and yes, also behind the ears and actually on my scalp as well. What I did was change the hair products I was using. I am now washing my hair with liquid Castile Soap and using apple cider vinegar for conditioner. It sounds a bit weird, but I chose this because it is all completely natural. My pimples have now gone away. I think it was product allergy I was dealing with. You may have the same reason for having pimples behind your ears? Looking into changing your hair care products is worth it.

Hi!

I got retinol (ROC) yesterday and have started using it. I also bought the Cetaphil cleanser. I hope that combined, both of these things will help me get rid of the clogged pores behind my ears. That are actually starting to hurt me a bit now, so it's not just a cosmetic concern. If that doesn't work, I will also change my hair products, but for now I am hoping that these two things will do the trick.

Thank you for your tips, which have been really useful.

Hiya,

Retinol and Cetaphil sounds like the right recipe to solve that problem. I don't see why you wouldn't change your shampoo out the next time you need a new bottle as well, just in case. Some shampoos are really irritating to the scalp and surrounding skin. Anything made by Garnier gave me terrible problems so I don't use that any more. Anyways, these are good steps you're taking and while you're at it I'd definitely use both the cleanser and the cream all over your face. Don't just save it for behind the ears 'cause that stuff can really clear your skin up nicely.

I never paid much attention to the area behind my ears, until pimples started forming in that area. That is when I realized that I needed to subject that part of my skin, which is arguably part of my face as well, to the same treatment I gibe my face. So gentle washing with a good face wash twice a day, and cleaning it off properly then moisturizing. Also spot treatment when necessary. I have oily skin anyway but just forget about that area. No longer.