Since giving birth four months ago, I have had breakouts like I never had them in my life. I've been trying random over the counter products here and there but they are not working as well as I would like and now I am seeing some tiny but definitely present scars develop as well... not something I want on my face forever.

Can you please recommend some products for clearing up the acne that is plaguing my skin along with reducing the scarring that I already have at the moment?

Pretty please? :)

I've heard very good things about the Pur Rescue Squad Daily Defense cream. Look for it. Then for those red marks that might be scars or more raised whitish scars and stuff, there's this Paula's Choice product... hmmm... just "Resist BHA 9" it's called, that's pretty popular as well. If you are dealing with more severe scars though then you are gonna want to go for something more heavy duty as it were and look into that acne scar removal thing made by Skinceuticals. That has an excellent reputation for dark marks as well and is the best of the best. But yeah, you wanna work on prevention and healing at the same time for best results...

Celebrity

Hey,

Since you mentioned that you recently became a mom, are you breastfeeding? If so, please be careful - not all acne treatments will be suitable for you. I have heard that going on the pill can greatly reduce postpartum acne so that could be one thing to look into if you like. 

In addition, why not try some home remedies? First off make sure you are getting plenty of water and are eating well, along with getting enough sleep - all things that can be difficult for new moms, I know! Then, apply apple cider vinegar to your face as a toner every morning, on a cotton ball. It has antibacterial properties. A honey and lemon mask can also work wonders. Neither of these things are bad for breastfeeding moms.

Rosie

Hi Rosie,

I am not breastfeeding and would be interested in going on the pill if it would reduce the acne, but I am slightly worried because I have also heard that the pill makes acne worse in some women. I have never been on any kind of hormonal contraception in my life so there is no predicting how I'd react. Even if it works, I'd still need something for the scars. Thank you for taking the time to answer though, I'll discuss that with my doctor.

Laura

Hi Londongirl,

By the "scar removal thing from Skinceuticals", do you mean something called Blemish + Age Defense? That is what came up when I searched for Skinceuticals scar treatment. Whether or not that is what you originally meant, it looks really good and seems like it would help with pore unclogging and reduction of oily skin as well as scar reduction even anti-aging. If it really does all that, no wonder it is so pricey. I may actually consider buying that but if you had something else in mind please let me know.

Laura

Celebrity
Mind you, it isn't just any kind of birth control pill that prevents acne. You are talking about combined oral contraceptives here, which have both estrogen and progesterone. Progesterone only pills can cause worse acne than you started out with. There are three pills in the US that were approved by the FDA for treating acne specifically. They are Ortho Tri-Cyclen, estrostep, and YAZ. Ask your doctor about those if you are interested.

Rosie

Celebrity

In addition, something that is safe for anyone to use is a honey and lemon mask. Lemon and honey are two gifts from nature that together have antibacterial properties along with deep cleansing action that your acne ridden skin would definitely welcome right now. Though hormones are a huge trigger for acne, bacteria are always involved in there somewhere as far as I know. This is something quick and easy you could try two or so times a week while you think getting that birth control pill prescription over. Don't forget to exfoliate regularly either.

Rosie

I thank my lucky stars that I never really had acne as a teenager or adult. I did have the old pimple here and there. But it was nothing severe. I tried never to pop pimples because I think cleanliness plays a rather big part in that as well. But, for you, have you tried this? Many products on the market now contain tea tree oil. Tea tree oil is antibacterial, cleansing, and healing so you may find that it both gets rid of the acne you got going on right now as well as helping with the scarring a little. However, don't use pure tea tree oil on your face because that burns like crazy. But you can mix it with another carrier oil of your choice if you don't want to pay more money for the specialized products.

Celebrity
Good thinking! I totally agree with every word you said there! Tea tree oil products work very well for many people with acne. If I recall correctly, it is actually this tree the bees that produce Manuka honey, another great acne treatment, pollinate, isn't that right? You're right to say that tea tree oil can be rather potent as well though. With my sensitive skin, it would be much to harsh for me, in whatever form. But for many others, it really works like a charm.

Rosie

I have acne prone skin myself and there are a few products I really like. Boscia's clear complexion cleanser deep cleanses the pores and fights shine without containing nasty chemicals or harming the skin's natural defense barrier. When I use it, my skin feels clean and improved without feeling stripped to the point that it feels uncomfortably tight. Osmia Organics has a nice spot treatment (called just that) in a cute little bottle that is all natural ingredients. It soothes the skin and makes individual spots disappear more quickly, good because that also helps prevent scar formation.

One word: Retinol.

Retinol is the over the counter version of Retin A, or Tretinoin generically, and they are vitamin A derived creams or gels that do a lot to combat both acne and signs of aging. After I started using retinol (so an over the counter version), my acne, which was mild, cleared right up along with a scar I had from cutting my face accidentally with a very sharp crafting knife. So though I am not sure whether retinol is normally said to clear up scars, it worked in my case.

I use dermelastic serum everyday for scars on my face (acne and otherwise). I feel like it has kept my face spotting relatively under control as I age. I highly recommend dermelastic serum.