I am interested in details concerning Zetia, which is the latest drug I’m proscribed in order to try and keep my cholesterol under control. I would like to learn something about its ingredients, the way it works and also about side effects it may produce. I have information that Zetia can cause serious allergic reactions. Is that true? How harmful can Zetia actually be?

The active ingredient in Zetia is called ezetimibe and it helps in regulating LDL cholesterol, also known as the bad cholesterol. Zetia must be combined with particular low - cholesterol and low - fat diet in order to achieve some improvement. Zetia can also be used with other cholesterol - lowering medicaments, but always with great precaution and never if you have problems with your liver. There is a possibility of developing an allergic reaction to ezetimibe or other active or inactive ingredients fount in it; problems with breathing, swelling of any part of your body (especially lips and tongue) or hives are causes to alarm your doctor and to make a pause in your Zetia therapy. Among milder side effects are fatigue, diarrhoea and pains in your stomach. You must never abort therapy on your own, except in case of swelling or other more severe reactions to this medicine mentioned above.