Hello, guys. I was found high LDL cholesterol. I must admit that I am little afraid. My doctor explained me the possible complications of this condition of mine. I have heard about gemfibrozil and probucol. I would like to know which one is better for high LDL. Can anyone help? I would appreciate all your advices.

Hello. I am not sure if you are having a right dilemma. Gemfibrozil is good for lowering lipid levels. It is especially good for reducing VLDL cholesterol and triglycerides. However, it has a modest effect in reducing LDL cholesterol. It also has a modest effect in increasing HDL cholesterol. On the other hand, probucol is not approved as I remember. It causes long QT syndrome with patients. Clinical trials were stopped. As far as I know, it increases LDL cholesterol metabolism. You should really consult your doctor about this. Don’t take this kind of therapy on your own.