I have a five month old who has low muscle tone. He is a very social baby (smiles and coos a lot), but his motor skills are lagging. He does not roll over yet, cannot sit unsupported at all. He's still does not have great head control when held upright. His doc says that he has low muscle tone, but that it is a 'description', not a 'diagnosis' (whatever that means), and it is common in preemies (he was born 2 months early).

We try to do 'tummy time' to strengthen chest muscles, but he has reflux and does not like to be on his stomach. I'm not too concerned yet, but starting to worry, since his progress is slow. When might he outgrow this and 'catch up' to other babies his age? If it doesn't improve, could it be a sign of somthing else going on? Has anyone had child with this issue? Thx.

Hi, Just wondering how you are goign with this? I have a little girl who is now 7 mths old & Ive been told the same thing? she is just slightly missing her milestones - although she wasnt premmie. She is also very social. She also hates her tummy & have been told she hs reflux. I cant get her to eat any solids?

By 4 months, my daughter did not push up on her legs, by 6 months, she couldn't accept solids. Very social and smiley. Fatigued when drinking her bottle that she would leak out of the sides of her mouth toward the end. Many test, still diagnosed benign hypotonia. She will be 2 in a month, receives Occupation, speech and physical therapy. Slowly progressing but makes great strides. Just started pulling to stand, eats very well now, still pools food in mouth at times from fatigue. Bowel movements are an issue, usually hard and pebble like. Nutrition plays a huge role in her energy level. Would love to learn how your children are doing and what paths you have taken with them to assist them.