Hi, I love my son. He is three years old but he has a problem. I have heard what it can be and I am very concerned about it. He has speech delays. My son is not slow, he understands everything we say. He can count to ten, knows colors and indicates that he knows his name. But if he wants something he won't ask for it. He will take it himself and show us what he wanted. He also reacts to loud noises by making hand or face gestures. We know that he has delayed social skills but can this be autism?

Hi, as you said yourself, it is clear that your son has developmental delays or as you said delayed social skills. This does not automatically mean that he has autism. I realized this since you said that you can communicate with him and that he reacts to his name. The concrete developmental problem of your son will be visible in time. This is because there are different spheres of mental growth such as emotional, cognitive or social. However, you must take him to see a specialist. He can perform a test that can indicate if there is a chance that your son has autism. Also, it is possible to make such diagnosis because of the age. The doctor can also suggest measures that can be taken in order to improve your son's state caused by delayed social skills.