Hey

My ex husband complained yesterday that he is having an issue with his cat. (We are divorced but we stayed friends). He knows that I also have a cat and he knows that I have a profile here on this site so he asked me could I help him.

Namely, his cat’s paw is swollen and he doesn’t know how to help her. He said me that he was very afraid at first but someone told him that swollen paw is a very common problem in cats.

He wants to know what are the treatment options for swollen paw in cats.  Please write if you know anything about this.

Hey there.
First of all, I will explain (you and your ex husband) how to prevent your cat from getting a swollen paw: after she’s done with her walk and she comes to you, you can check her paws for any foreign objects that could cause swollen paws. So you can do this even if she doesn’t have a swollen paw, just in case.
When it comes to treatments, tell him to check her paw for stings or something like that. If he finds something and he removes it, her paw should be better. If he can’t find anything, tell him to soak her paw in hot water with Epsom salts dissolved in it. Make her hold it there for about 10 minutes.

Hey you two,

I can relate to what Smiley said about prevention of swollen paws.

And basically, if you understand the causes of swollen paws, it gets pretty easy to understand how to treat them.

If a sting or a foreign object is what makes you cat’s paw swollen, you need to find it and remove it.

If it’s a broken toe, you need to take her to the vet.

Epsom salts could help, but I don’t think that that’s really necessary. If you can’t find anything, no foreign objects, then try to touch her entire leg gently and see if she gets in pain during that. Might show you what the problem is.

Good day friends.

Off topic – I have to tell you that I am really happy because you two are friends still :) It is so rare situation, especially because you two are helping each other.  Amazing :) I am sentimental at this moment, don’t judge me :D

On topic - I am fighting with this problem currently with my cat as well. Smiley gave you a few amazing advice how to prevent it.  I am sorry because I didn’t know how to prevent it before :(

I am treating my cat with very simple method – crushed ice in a plastic bag or a bag of frozen vegetables (If you don’t have ice).

Hello. You should definitely be concerned about swollen paw in this cat. I think that it doesn’t matter is this cat yours or your husband's. For example, last week my mom was preparing her Christmas tree, and her cat stepped on nail of this tree. It was sore and after this it was warm, but without blood. She immediately washed her paw with baking soda and she was using some cream, just to prevent infections. I think that this is enough. If you don’t know what to use, if you didn’t have experience with this before, than you should visit the vet.

Hey everyone,

This is a lot of talk for a thing as common as swollen paw. I mean, come on, it happens so often.

He can even not do anything and it will still disappear.   

I’m guessing that he knows where his cat was before he noticed her swollen paw. In case he do, he has the answer right there. Tell him to find the cause and he’ll find the treatment.

Usually, the cause is something in her paw pad, between her toes. He should find it, remove it and the cat is good to go. Epsom salts should help if he can’t really find anything. Ten to fifteen minutes and she’s going to be brand new.

Hey everyone. You seem to have already said the main things when it comes to treating swollen paws. I honestly don’t think that he should do anything except to examine his cat’s paw. He is probably going to find something that caused that paw to swell. If not, I’m pretty much sure that it’s going to get better by itself. In the majority of cases people don't even need to visit the vet. It’s almost never dangerous, as it’s already said above, and checking your cat’s paw or putting it in Epsom salts is all the treatment she needs to get. I hope that this is helpful enough.

Good day everyone.

I am not sure should you take care of it alone, without any help. Sometimes, this is not a thing that you can play with it.

I totally do agree that Epsom salt can help you. In case if you didn’t know, Epsom salts are not the same as regular salt.

Well, Epsom salt is good because it can help you to clean an infected wound, but if there is an infection, which is possible, then meds are needed as well.

Trust me, I have a lot of experience with swollen paws in my cat, so I think that I do know what am I talking about :)