My husband and I are very concerned for our little child. He is only 1 year old but it seems that he is already suffering from some serious disease. He is floppy somehow, I don't know how to describe it. As if his muscles are not sufficiently strong. We took him to a doctor and he said that this could be the case of hypotonia. We are going again tomorrow, for additional examination, but I am just so afraid that this might be that hypotonia. What kind of illness is this?

It is an illness whose main symptom is very low muscle tone (tension in a muscle). It is often followed with lower muscle strength. The main point is, this is not a concrete condition, more a manifestation of one or several different illnesses that damage motor nerve control. Long term effects vary from case to case - they depend on how serious the muscle weakness is. Basic treatment includes physical therapy for compensation of disability. Still, let us wait for further analysis. Perhaps there is a less serious cause for your child's problem.