My 4 month old son has an infrequent bowel movement. It started when he was 2 and a half month old. He pooed every 4 days, 5, 6 it even lasted until 9 days somtimes. And i went to three different doctors for a check up but they said its ok since he is not vomitting every feed nor have bloated stomach. But i really don't know if its already normal for him to pooed every 8 or 9 days interval knowing i'm purely breastfeeding him. My concern is will it develop to a serious problem in the future or he will change his movement when start eating? what if not, what wil be the consequences? please help me. thank you

I am sorry no one has answered you sooner. It does sound a little strange that no bowel action for 8 - 9 days. try introducing more water, is your baby otherwise happy, trust your mothers instinct that is what it is for, you have already seen a few doctors, l would see a child paeditrician who specialises in bowels, might be a good idea,

I am having a similar problem. My four month old has infrequent bowel movements, as well. I am exclusively breastfeeding and when she has a bowel movement it is soft and normal. Doctor told me not to worry since she appears to be healthy, but how can a mother not be worried? My daughter has no bloating or apparent pain. I don't know.

my 4 month old is having the same problem. I have a 2 year old now and I had the same problem with him. He is fine and we never had any complications. I also brestfeed and when my babies do make a bowel movment it is mostlikely a blow out. As wierd as it is your child is probably just fine.

My little brother had this problem, we took him to the doctor, and he had a hernia pinching his bowels. So I extremely recommended you go get that looked at, and if there is a hernia, get it removed, because it could mean life or death for your little one.

My four month old has similar issues. The doctor explained it that solely breast fed babies are absorbing all of the nutients and as long as when she does poop, it is soft, everything is o.k. Their stomach also needs to feel soft and they should not be bothered by it.

o.O Thank God...I thought that i was the only one to freak out. My pediatrician told me it was toltally normal for breatfed babies...but I can't help but think that something is wrong. Today is day 8 without a bowel movement and I'm sure she is feeling uncomfortable. Her stomach looks ok (maybe a little bigger than usual) but I feel her being fussy (maybe its her teething... I don't know antmore!!) Please tell me what are the symptoms that it is no longer ok...and what happens if she doesn't have a bowel movement after 10 days!!!

Thank you

my baby is part of the breastfeeding, no poo poo club. I would be more freaked out except for the fact that my two older children did the exact same thing. It can be normal so if everything else checks out, just wait it out. I am mother of three and a pediatrician

I have twin 5 month old girls. The one vomits all the time and hasn't pooped in 2 1/2 weeks and my othe daughter is fine. Eats well and poops 3 times a day. Dr. keeps tells me to do bicycle movements and rub under belly button. She starts tocry when she is gassy. I don't know, I feel so helpless!!!

Alixa. my baby is 4 months old. He is having this problem since he was 2 months old. he goes every 6 or more days. I am very worry. He had a barium enema and every thing looks fine. The doctor recomended to change breast milk feeding for formula 9 Similac alimentum, but nothing helps. today is aleready 7 days that he does not go and I am freaking out. I don't know what else to do.

it makes me feel a little bit better to hear i am not the only one with this problem. my 4 month old is going longer and longer in between bowel movements and now it seems like she is throwing up a lot too. i've been reading everything i can think of- from hirschsprungs disease to lactose intolerance.... she sometimes crunches up when she's nursing too. the ped recommended since she is 4 months, to introduce some fruit- so i would give her pears or peaches and it would help for a few days and then she's all backed up again.

My 4.5 month old has very infrequent bowel movement since 2 and half month. initially he did not go for 7 days until i gave him karo syrup. i waited once to see how long it took him to go by himself and i freaked out on the 11th day and gave him karo syrup. now karo syrup stopped working on him. it is the 9th day again. we've seen two doctors and has an appointment with a GI specialist in two weeks. the baby seems fine. his tummy feels soft and he is eating normal. he does seem a bit more fussy after a week without bowel movement. the doctor asked me to give him surpository. i am worried what if that stops working one day. anybody else has such issue?

My son is now 5 1/2 months - I have started him on solids about a month ago, and only then have I noticed his infrequent bowel movements. Besides the change in diet, I am breastfeeding him. He hasn't gone in the past 7 days, but is in great spirits. I am somewhat worried, but just hoping this is a phase he overcomes!. It was so great to read the other comments, I felt like I was the only one! ~ if anyone discovers any theories ~ please pass it along.

Same problem here - 4 month old baby who only has bowel movements once a week. My doctor said it was odd and to give her an ounce of pure apple juice mixed with water 50 / 50. If that does not work, he suggested a glycerine suppository. I am inclined to let it work itself out, although I may try the apple juice thing. My baby seems happy for the most part, only fusses when there is a movement on the way - usually a huge one! I don't think that a suppository is necessary as long as she seems OK

It's not at all uncommon for children that are exclusively breastfed to have infrequent bowel movements, some can even go up to 14 days before having a poop. Don't worry, unless your child is bloated, spitting up excessively or very unhappy. You can always use a little corn syrup mixed with some water and that should loosen things up a bit, but usually breastfed babies aren't too keen on water...