My 5 year old daughter goes through phases every few months where she has to urinate over and over. Sometimes she will get off the toilet and then have to get right back on. It is worse when we are getting ready for school or to go somewhere. She will go 5-6 times before I am able to get her completely dressed and ready to walk out the door. It is becoming a problem at school as well. She is distracted from her work because she has to continuously go potty.
She does not have symptoms of burning or itching and I have not noticed a foul smell to her urine. I have taken her to the doctor for this once before last year and her sugar level was as close to perfect as it can get. There were no other indications of infection or other illness. The doctor did mention that if the symptoms continued they could do a blood test to check her sodium levels. My mother-in-law, and RN, advised me to increase her sodium intake. We did and I'm not sure if that helped or if the symptoms went away on their own.

I have also had this problem several times in the last year. I have always urinated frequently anyway. On a normal basis I urinate at least 2 times per hour. When it is worse I have to go back to back at times and it is difficult for me to leave my home. I would consider my situation a bit different due to the fact the I have used no discipline or self control in my diet in the past 2 years. I feel that my problems are caused from my poor eating habits. However, my daughters eating habits should not be a factor in this situation. She eats extremely healthy, especially for a 5 year old child.

I would like to add one more thing about my daughter. I have always taught her to wipe front to back but it is hard for her reach around the back and wipe that way. My husband had told her to wipe however she was comfortable and she will argue with me because of what he told her and because it is easier for her to wipe back to front. If this is causing the problem would her problem be consistent since her wiping style is consistent? And wouldn't the wiping issue also cause burning and itching if that was causing the problem?
Should I have the blood work done or try something less evasive first?

Sorry but I tend to be very detailed in my explanations. Thanks for your immediate response in this urgent matter. No pun intended. LOL.

My best advice for your daughter is when she is done with the bathroom to wipe from front to back. It doesn't matter what her father says. Otherwise, bacteria will easily get into her urethra. Second, ask the pediatrician for a urine test, urine culture and a blood test. Please be persitant on this; otherwise, the doctors will assume that she is okay. If the urine tests come back negative then ask the doctor why she is always needs to go to the bathroom. If her urine is positive then she has a urinary tract infection. Also I suggest you should analyze her diet such as what she drinks and what she eats. Chart her eating for a week when an episode occurs. And show it to her doctor. It might be that certain drinks and foods can irritate the bladder causing her to go to the bathroom. Also there might possiblities such as a tight urethra, small bladder, a bladder that contracts small amounts of urine at a time or even Interstitial Cystistis. I don't want to scare you more than I have to but in today's world there is a lot of possibilities to consider.

Unfortunately this was never considered until almost seven years ago when I finally went to two urologists almost nine years ago and I was told I had tight and narrow urethra and a bladder that contracts small amounts of urine at a time. I had a urinary tract infection when I was eight. Another one when I was eighteen and finally started going to the bathroom at night when I was twenty three. After three years I finally went to the first urologist and when he did the cystoscopy, he diagnosed this but his attitude was this was going to be a chronic thing and I should live with it. The second urologist did a urodynamic study and it was the same thing. And still I sometimes find I have to go to the bathroom about 10-20 times during the night. And now the more I think about this I think drinking diet coke/pepsi and my diet may have a lot to to with this. It is very sad that there is little knowledge about urinary tract infections, bladder infections and other urinary symptoms until something serious happens.

My advice to you about your problem is the same as your daughters. Go to your doctor and have your urine checked out. If your problem continues, you should get it checked out by a urologist but be prepared with questions and do a lot research before getting the problem checked out further. I was so desperate to have my problem resolved that I just wanted the first urologist to take care of it and it will be gone and then when he told me this was a chronic condition, I was pissed.

FranPam,
Thanks so much for your reply. I just remember how hard it was recently taking her to get her shots for Kindergarten that to have a blood test done would scare her so bad. That's one reason I decided not to have it done the first time they offered when she had the problem last year. I just told them I would wait and see if the problem goes away and like I said when we increased her sodium it went away. Maybe you should consider that also. The doctor explained to me what the sodium level has to do with frequent urination but I don't remember enough details to relay the info to you. Is that something that has ever been mentioned to you before? Either it worked or her problem just went away on it's own the last time. She is miserable. Luckily she isn't waking up at night. It seems to just happen during the day and she isn't wetting the bed luckily.
I really appreciate your immediate response. I will take this matter more seriously than I have. I am glad I found this website.

My five year old is also going threw a phase right now of frequent urination. Just wondering what types of food that you introduced into her diet to increase her sodium levels? She just had a urine test and it was clean.

My daughter, who's almost 4, has been potty trained for almost a year now and has started to have frequent urination out of no where. It started in the beginning of '09, I took her to the doctor and she didn't have a UTI so they said it's behavioral (because there's no other options, right???). She has never had ANY behavioral issues, so why would she all of a sudden decide that she just wants to pee every 15-30 minutes?? It doesn't make sense.

They gave me the number to the DOVE center at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia...I think I might give them a call.

My daughter, now age 25, started having the above mentioned problems since she was potty trained.
I had her to numerous uroligist for many years. Finally at age 22 she was diagnosed with Intersistial Cystitis. Her bladder can only hold 8 oz of liquid.
One thing that helps her most is diet. No caffeine, no acidy foods (I feel bad for all of the cranberry juice I gave to her as a tot! thinking I was helping her) and no spicy foods. No anti-biotics (she was given plenty of this as a tot also due to recurring infections!)
I empathize with the mother that has the daughter that wets the bed every night. We went through this till mine was a teenager. She still gets up and urinates abbout 5-6 times every night.
Just wanted to say if you notice the problem is not getting better go to a uroligist. GP's are become more familiar with IC but you wouldn't believe how many my daughter has been to that doesn't understand it some don't even know what it is. We can tell by some of their answers.

Follow-up on the Post by Drumchick80
What was the final diagnosis of her 5 year old with urinary frequency. Did the blood work show a decrease in sodium, or was there some other medical reason for her urinary frequency? She has been evaluated by the doctor and there is no urinary infection. Thank you. Concern Grandmom with 5 year old grand daughter having the same problems.

Hello, I am just curious .. did you ever take your daughter to the Dove at CHOP?  You said you thought about it, but this was a year ago.  My child's Pediatrician just suggested the same thing.  I have not called yet.  I was hoping to research a little more and find out if it's worth all the testing, or should I let it go.  My daughter is urinating very frequently and she even wakes up in the middle of the night to go :(  She is 6 yrs old, and this is the 3rd time in her young life where she has gone through this.  But the other two times, I will say, went away on it's own.  I took her to Dupont once, and basically nothing came from it.  I wonder if this all could just be a mental thing?  Or is there really truly a problem.  The last thing I want to do is put her through all these tests, for Dr's to come back again and say the same thing, "It's all in her head".  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!  Espicially from anyone who has gone to the Dove clinic.

Thanks!

Kym  

My 6 year old son has the same thing. The ped. Urologist said it was a poop problem - meaning he was backed up and the poop pushes on the bladder making him have to pee frequently. He put him on Miralax - currently waiting to see if this helps.

hie in Harare Zimbabwemy 3 yr old daughter got this problem she is urinating blood we went to the hospital & their tests came negative when they test her kidneys and the other thing her feet are becoming swollen she seems to be in great pain.all the doctors did was to give me some pills and send me home with her.what desease could be this

JUST GOT THE SAME ANSWER FROM OUR PED. OUR SON IS ON MIIRALAX AND JUST HAD A BOWEL MOVEMENT THE BM CAME OUT HARD BUT FINISHED IN A PUDDING CONSISTENCY, JUST WONDERING IF WE SHOULD STOP THE MIRALAX.HE HAS HAD JUST 2 DOSES AND WANTS HIM ON IT FOR ANOTHER 6 DAYS.

My six year old just started urinating frequently.  I won't buy the "it's all in her head thing" I know my daughter, usually she would want to play than do anything else and now, all she can do is pee! doctor thinks her bladder might be irritated or poop is causing this, but I will start to research Urologist in my area.  We know our children! lets listen to them and trust what they are telling us.

It was unfair for the doctor not to tell you what was going on. Maybe you should get back to him for details.

My 5-year-old daughter is also urinating frequently.  She used to be able to go a couple of hours without going and now she seems to have to go urgently every 20 minutes, give or take.  She is waking up once a night to go which before she slept through the night.  I'm interested in the responses about the Miralax.  She has not been pooping that well either so I wonder if it would help.  I'm nervous for her because she is about to start Kindergarten and I can't imagine her having to go pee 15 times during her school day!  It is also interested how most of us are experiencing this with our 5 and 6 year olds, and mostly girls.  I'm curious to see if anyone that posted earlier has had this problem resolved.

Please if anyone has resolved this please tell me! I am scared and taking my almost 5 yr old daughter to doc today.