My son (25months) has had chronic diarrhea for almost 5months. He had pneumonia in Feb. and that is when the diarrhea started. He is lactose intolerant so he doesn't eat any milk products. He does eat food with whey and casein in it(milk proteins). He has tubes in his ears(in Feb 2010) because of chronic ear infections. He was always a little behind on his milestones. Not by much but he was still slightly behind. He is moderately behind in his speech development. He is about 6/9months behind. He doesn't talk well at all. The doctors can't figure out what is wrong with him.

He has been tested for Celiac's Disease multiple times and it keeps coming back negative. Every stool sample, culture, and blood test comes back normal. He was tested for malabsorption and that came back negative also. He doesn't gain any weight. He is only 22lbs and he was that weight at 6months old.

Everything keeps coming back as normal. They just tell me to up his fiber intake and feed him more solid food rather than lactaid or pediasure. If it's not nailed down he eats it. He eats almost as much as my friends 14yr old. There is no reason he shouldn't be gaining weight. Today for dinner he had 4 toddler size bowls of pasta, 3 slices of bread and margarine, 2 servings of salad, 3 handfuls of grape tomatoes, and 2 sippy cups full of lactaid(16oz). Then he had a pediasure drink and cookies before bed. The kid eats, he's like a bottomless pit.

Any thoughts on what might be wrong with my son?

~Sarah

has he been tested for cystic fibrosis? Most babies are screened at birth, but diarrhea, failure to thrive, and respiratory tract and ear infections are common in CF.

New Hope
At my daughter's 9 month appt, she had gained 3 ounces since her 6 month appt. She ate like a horse. But, she was behind on crawling. Turned out she had a cancerous tumor in her abdomen--it was neuroblastoma. So, after reading your story, that's my immediate thought. However, his blood test is coming back normal? Have they tested it for cancer? You can also do a urine analysis to see if his Catecholamines are high--that's a sign that there could be a tumor present. But beware--bananas, vanilla, chocolate, caffeine can also raise them.

hi i have a 25month old son also and he is very slow to gain weight. he was 5lbs 7ozs when he was born and i had been very sick throughout the pregnancy and put his low birth weight down to that. he is developing at the average of any other child his age....speech slightly behind but is catching up. he has had tests for cystic fibrosis, bladder, kidney and intestine scans, blood tests and everything is coming back negative. he weighs 23lbs now. we have just been referred to a specialist and is being sent for a test to see if he has growth hormone defiency. if so he will require growth hormone injections evey day from the age of 3/4. i hope we get an explanation soon as to why he is not gaining weight.

We had a similar situation, chronic diarrhea (over a year), all sorts of tests and diet restrictions. I think I have finally found the problem. Fructose malabsorption digestive disorder. Don't let people tell you this is from drinking too much juice and other fluids. It is from a enzyme deficiency in the small intestine that restricts the absorption of fructose in the small intestine, it goes straight to the large intestine and is expelled often (but not always) with signs of undigested food. There are many essential vitamins that the body can be lacking as a result. It's worth reading about (start with fructose malabsorption in wickepedia). Reduce/remove free fructose (foods with higher glucose to fructose ratio are tolerable, as glucose assists in the absorption of fructose). Some high fructose foods are apples, some grapes, melons, honey maple syrup, sultanas. I hope you find a solution. Don't give up searching. Collective knowledge is a powerful thing. Good luck. Mel

How is your daughter doing? I lost my 5 year old son to neuroblastoma.