My 4 week old son has had constant gas for the last two weeks. He doesn't seem to get a break from it, it's constant. He is always pushing and fussing with pain. He can be soothed if we rub his stomach and help him get it out, but an hour later it is back again. His tummy gets all hard and swollen, and it rumbles while he is eating. If we lay him on his back he wakes up pushing. We feel so bad for him, it is a lot of gas for such a little guy. We burp him frequently during feedings, massage his stomach, and pump his legs. We have tried gas drops, and gripe water. All of these things help him get his gas out, but it is back again within an hour or two. He is breast fed and I have stopped eating dairy, gas producing vegetables, and beans. Nothing is working so far. Does anyone have any suggestions? If I had the gas my baby does I would probably be crying. It is awful. Please let me know what has worked for you.

my little girl was like this as a baby, woke every hour and a half screaming from gas pains....we tried an herbal tea from Germany "baby tea" which was a combination of chamomile, fennel, and a few other mild herbs, which we added to her formula (We also switched her to Nestle Good Start) both seemed to help...If the formula switch didn't work, I would have tried to go to soy as it could be a problem with dairy...but since you are breast feeding, maybe go 2 or 3 days on a super bland diet of food such as oatmeal, pasta (no tomatoe sauce too much acid) meat/fish...etc. this may help.

From the distress you are mentioning, try to rule out all things, and eliminate one at a time ...you may just have to play detective...feed the baby in an upright position,...try burping 2 or 3 times during the course of a feeding...babies gulp air when they are crying.

One thing I do know is that they seem to grow out of it, as horrible as it seems now -

The recipe to fight against this is different in babies.For my sister's baby and for my baby, different techniques were helpful to cope with constant colicky pain, not the same.  For example, in my baby's case a gentle motion was not good, so in that case, you should try rocking your baby. Put your baby in the crib and swing the crib. It is way easier for you than taking her in your arm because once you start to carry her, it can be very difficult to put her back in the crib. Also, try a message. It can't disrupt. 

Your baby may have acid reflux. does she/ he arch his back when crying? Or screaming rather? All three of my babies have had it and none of them hardly ever spit up. So even if they do not spit up they could still definetly have reflux. You can help if by not laying them down for like 20 minutes after feeding. Elevate the head when sleeping. My first 2 benefited from zantac and my 3rd was put on pepcid. She has only been on it for a couple days so not if sure if it is working yet. There is a lot of info out there on reflux. Talk to your doctor about reflux or even a lactose problem. I hope I was a little bit of help to you.
Mary

I have a 2 week old daughter whom has just started with the same symptoms. If you can find any answers I would be grateful. I will be seeing a lactation consultant tomorrow, maybe she will be able to help.

we had the same problem, we tried every type of formula, when we finally went to soy, he stopped crying, he started sleeping, we went from continuous crying to a happy baby , he was 9 weeks old when the problem was solved. he is 18 months now and still on soy.

my son had a similar problem, he would spend up to three hours at a time crying and obviously uncomfortable before doing a poo, only to have half an hour to an hour rest before it started again, everyone told me this was normal and would fix itself, but it was hell for me and my partner to watch!!!

Finally at 8 weeks (against what everyone says) I fed him about half a teaspoon of farex mixed in with my breast milk once a day...within a day his tummy was fine, he was pooing without problems and we all got some much neede rest!!

It's not recommended but it worked for me!! He's now 5 months, and a happy, healthy smiley lil boy who LOVES his food!!

Whatever you try though, good luck!!

Does your baby have any other symptoms? Explosive stools, possibly green, and/or frothy? Does your baby gulp at the breast, choke, or cough? If so, you may be experiencing oversupply syndrome which can make a baby very fussy and gassy. Something to think about:).

my baby is 2 weeks old and is gassy and hard 2 burp im breastfeeding as well and i noticed that he gulps at my breast and sometimes even choke. i used gripe water but that only seemed 2 calm his pains not help hi pass gas so i started using gas relief with the gripe water its so so. but while on-line i found something called colic calm gripe water and it sound very good so im gonna give that a try b/c if it dnt work they give u ur money back

I experienced the same thing with my 4 week old.....here are my suggestions and experiences :-)

- burp often
- take like 1/2hr after their feed to burp and "settle" before you lay them down
- use a sleep wedge so baby is at least at a 30 degree angle
- use s soother ( my baby also vomits...from her pushing so much....but feeding her every 1/2 hr made her stomach worse. A soother relaxed her and allowed time for her meal to settle)
- pumping your fore milk.....the milk at the beginning contains all the lactose and sugars which can upset a baby tummy......so get rid of it for some of the meals and only feed the hind milk which contains all the goods fats for weight gain but won't bother babies tummy and fills them so they are less fussy.
- warm bath on the little tummy

Hope this helps, good luck :-)

A single dose of Pulsatilla 30 (a homeopathic medicine)

my daughter was the same way. i got her took the hospital and had xrays done and they found that she was bound up worse then an adult. they gave me something for it but never told me ways to avoid it. I tried changing her formula to soy and she was fine, shes 19months now and she is not allowed to drink cows milk or diary products

Hi there, what is that? Where can you get that? and what is it intended to clear up or cure? If you can let me know, I'd really appreciate it. THank you!

I had the same problem with my baby it mad me go grazy to see him in such pain all that pushing and cramps, until i descovered a small spot of blood in his stool went to have him checked up i got BENNETTS COLIC MIXTURE O MY WORD MY CHILD CAN SLEEP AGAIN without him pushing and crying from the pain he drinks 4ml every 6hours or longer it really helps he slelt like a baby should sleep yesturday and last night it is R88.00 for a 50ml bottle, i recomend you just try it for your baby and see how it works, all the best

NEED HELP ASAP...3week old gassy wont stop crying wont sleep swollen belly nothing working need sleep and so does my baby girl