I am a 68 year old woman who has been having severe spasms in my throat, chest, back and stomach. Sometimes I get acidic burning in my body which travels in waves throughout my entire palate, throat, esophagus, intestines and rectum, which can go over and over. Had endoscopy this year - lots of flat polyps in stomach, and doctor stretched esophagus ? for possible achalasia, and the incidence of the spasms has been more frequent. Told him, told me to take nexium 40 mg 2x daily, but told him it makes it worse, but no answer. Sometimes I don't know if it is my heart, but I don't think so. Have MVP and ectopic extra beats, but never caused this. It is such severe spasms and cramping when it happens and I really can't tie it to anything special - am careful not to eat late at night - after 6:00, but never know. It happens a lot at night, but now at 11:00 AM am just getting over a really bad one. Sometimes moving my bowels eases it - sometimes urinating - don't know. Am now on prednisone for possible PMR and temporal arteritis - 20 mg day - so take omeprozole 20 mg. 2x daily because of stomach problems. I just don't know what to do because it comes on with no warning and it is very disabling and frankly, scary. The prednisone is helping with the head pain and arm and shoulder pain, but I just don't like meds, but cannot do without some I guess. Can you help me?

You are one of the most difficult cases that I had come across. For gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and achalasia, I suggest that you sleep in a near upright or inclined position. Gravity will help prevent stomach acid from reaching your throat and esophagus while you sleep. I recommend taking psyllium vegetable fiber with plenty of water on an empty stomach. Psyllium forms a gel when mixed with water. This gel helps absorb the excess acid giving you relief from pain as it passes along your entire GI tract. Prednisone can predispose you to osteoporosis or make an existing condition worse. Make sure you are getting enough calcium and vitamin D in your diet. You may want to take a bone mineral test if you haven't had one done in a while.